• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Brumation? Scared? To big of an enclosure?

Taria Sarkisian

Hi,
I received my male 7 month old Argentine Red Tegu Thursday am. He was overnighted and very cold from the flight which from the tracking seemed to stop in almost every city between Fl & Ca. His warm pack was still kinda warm but not so much. I slowly warmed him up with body heat then put him in the sink with warm water then changed it a couple times to a little warmer each time over an hour. When I got him home I had already had every heat lamp, basking bulb and a 100watt powersun (until my Mega's come in today) and an 18" T8 10.0 HO on all night to get his giant aquarium warm. It's been about 90° to 110° by the cheap petco temp gauges but the infrared heat gun says it's about 10° cooler. He inspected his new home, walked thru his water dish, I offered him crickets w/Rapashy Calcium with LOD and he buried himself. The substraint is only 4" deep but he manages to get under and not leave any sign that he was there. Next day I dug for him, put him in the warm bath, he pooped, then I had 3 pinky mice and some turkey meal waiting for him which he just stared at, didn't even flick his tongue until I pulled them away. He buried himself again, next day I did the same minus the turkey meal, instead I offered him superworms and Dubia roches dusted with calcium, still nothing. His enclosure is 120 gallon tank with 2 large sliding screens, substraint is 4" deep. I haven't seen him since he buried himself Sat am. But I checked and found him in two different spots Saturday and I think I've heard hi moving around at night when it's lights out, I keep 2 ceramic heat lamps over him on all night and day.
Just kinda freaking out because I just watched a video about Brumation that said they don't always come out of it and die instead. Does he have to brumate? Can I force him to wake up by bringing the heat up? Somebody told me to put 15" of soil sand mix in there so he would be closer to the light / heat but if he just burries himself it'll be an escavation to find him. Is he still just nervous from the change? Did the flight throw him into Brumation? Is it ok and possible to wake him out of Brumation? Should I take him to the vet? Help

ag3nt 0rang3

I have been waking mine up about every week or so to offer food and water and a bathroom to explore until he digs into some clothing to sleep. Then I put him back into his tank. Some tegus really slow down during the winter. When waking try not to scare him. Talk to him n let him know you're coming for him slowly

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Sounds like brumation and being neevous in new home. Still, an initial check by a vet that specializes in exotics is always good for a new herp.

Pickle

im new here got my first black and white over 15 years ago and just got me a new baby a week ago. she is doing almost the same as yours- except its summer- could the shipping process induce burmation? i feel like i know tegus- first and foremost they like to eat! i soak her everyday in warm water and the temp is good and all ! any sugestions on getting her active and eatting ?

Gary

im new here got my first black and white over 15 years ago and just got me a new baby a week ago. she is doing almost the same as yours- except its summer- could the shipping process induce burmation? i feel like i know tegus- first and foremost they like to eat! i soak her everyday in warm water and the temp is good and all ! any sugestions on getting her active and eatting ?

The same thing happened to mine when I got him last year. He wasn’t shipped with heat and was shocked into brumation. I let him be for about two weeks but still offered food and water. I noticed that he was getting more active so I started handling him. After about another month he went to sleep for real. I let him sleep, but he only brumated for a few weeks. He’s been awake and active ever since, including all through the winter. We’ll see what happens as we get closer to the one year anniversary of his arrival.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam