• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Brumating shortly after arrival

div129

So ive just gotten my 2 foot tegu in the mail yesterday morning. He was perfectly healthy and interactive. After he finished basking a few hours later, i sat beside the open cage playing on my phone. I Also have him some food since he seemed hungry (idk if it is correct to give him food this early). He ate it happily. I sat by the cage all day somewhat ignoring him. I turned off his light at night. This morning as i turn on the basking light, he was inside the hide (he covered the entrance with substrate). Yesterday, he was always out all day so im guessing he is brumating? Is it possible he brumated the day after he arrived? Also, i should mention i live in a tropical country, he came from the city beside mine so its not too far away or anything. Although, the city he came from is a bit hotter than mine 78-89f, mine is around 78-82f and can drop to 70 at night (outside) 73 inside. Im worried that this is too cold for him and made him think winter is coming since its colder than what he is used to?

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Tegus are really observant and a little uneasy with change.....It's not going to be brumation but his settling in period, it usually takes about a week or 2.

Just Imagine you have turned its whole world on its head without warning.....He just needs to be able to trust his environment and keeper in his own time.

Patience Patience Patience.

BTW air temps sound good but you will need a surface basking spot at around 105f

div129

Tegus are really observant and a little uneasy with change.....It's not going to be brumation but his settling in period, it usually takes about a week or 2.

Just Imagine you have turned its whole world on its head without warning.....He just needs to be able to trust his environment and keeper in his own time.

Patience Patience Patience.

BTW air temps sound good but you will need a surface basking spot at around 105f
Thank you, yes i have the basking spoy at around 105.
Also, what should i do to build trust? I usually just sit near the cage minding my own business. Should Move him to a feeding area or is it ok for him to eat in the cage for the time being?

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
yes start by just sitting chatting to him... then place a hand in for scent and sight purposes only..... move closer over time as he gets more comfortable and eventually touch and pick up.

I have no reason not to feed in enclosure and still do as well as hand feeding at times.

div129

yes start by just sitting chatting to him... then place a hand in for scent and sight purposes only..... move closer over time as he gets more comfortable and eventually touch and pick up.

I have no reason not to feed in enclosure and still do as well as hand feeding at times.
Well then, ill just feed him in the cage. I checked on him this afternoon And he's out exploring again. He actually ate a lot today. He’s getting a bit more comfortable with having me around, although he scurries back whenever someone else visits him.

Dylan koch

Leave him be for a few weeks maybe 3. Just make sure humidity is good, temps are good. And my tegus bury them self almost every nigh to sleep my blues at least my reds no longer do that. But dont rush the process. Took my 3 months to get mine to where they are. I take mine out in the yard every day for yard time. Make sure he has multiple hides one on cool and hot side.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
He'll adapt slowly as he figures out you're not a threat, and when you find his favorite foods! Alpha taught all of us to relaaaax! And exercise patience. While it may not seem like it, your Tegu is figuring things out while you're just present and staying calm.

Definitely wouldn't presume he's brumating. Burrowing for sure...but if he's going in and out of his hide, then I would think not brumating. He's adapting - very normal.

rats

5 Year Member
My blue loves to burrow at night into a towel or blanket (less messy?) so we make sure he has a clean one. He has a litter box to use (corncob I think; my husband takes care of that!) so his cage doesn't get too dirty too fast. He has a hot basking end and a cooler litter box end. Daytime is in the basking area, nighttime in the towel in the middle of the cage. :)

div129

He'll adapt slowly as he figures out you're not a threat, and when you find his favorite foods! Alpha taught all of us to relaaaax! And exercise patience. While it may not seem like it, your Tegu is figuring things out while you're just present and staying calm.

Definitely wouldn't presume he's brumating. Burrowing for sure...but if he's going in and out of his hide, then I would think not brumating. He's adapting - very normal.
Yes ive figured out his routine, he wakes up at 12 basks for an hour or so and beg for food. After feeding and basking for a few more hours he walks around my bedroom & bathroom exploring (he wont stay put in the cage all day usually clawing at the enclosure door so i open it) For an hour or so before going back into his cage.
Thanks everyone for replying, first time tegu owner so im a little worried about my little guy and if im doing things right.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
You've got the right attitude for a Tegu. It takes a good balance of patience and assertion. Like kids, they try to pull things on you, so be aware, and ready to resist when you have to.

A couple days ago I was letting my 1.5 yr old female out to carouse around and before I could put her down, she decided it wasn't fast enough for her.....She went into the death roll and wouldn't stop. I yelled "no" (my Yoda taught me that) at her twice. The first time she was oblivious, and the second time it stopped her - with a shocked look on her face. The moral of the story is just that she didn't get what she wanted from bad behavior. I held on, despite the scratches, and made her calm down. Then I put her down. She's decided that maybe the frantic rolling isn't worth it for the moment.

One of the best pieces of advice I could ever tell anyone that hasn't realized that even the sweetest Tegu will prob pull this on you is to ALWAYS pick them up with at least one hand (I use my left mostly-because I'm right handed) holding the base (thickest part) of their tail. This works for me, after raising Satan's Spawn. My beastly male and I have had our rounds, and it is he that taught me how to conquer him. ....I might be ready for bears now. ;)

Also - you'll find out right away, like with any other lizard, they don't like it when their feet aren't supported. It's a juggling act even in the calmest moments.

So ive just gotten my 2 foot tegu in the mail yesterday morning. He was perfectly healthy and interactive. After he finished basking a few hours later, i sat beside the open cage playing on my phone. I Also have him some food since he seemed hungry (idk if it is correct to give him food this early). He ate it happily. I sat by the cage all day somewhat ignoring him. I turned off his light at night. This morning as i turn on the basking light, he was inside the hide (he covered the entrance with substrate). Yesterday, he was always out all day so im guessing he is brumating? Is it possible he brumated the day after he arrived? Also, i should mention i live in a tropical country, he came from the city beside mine so its not too far away or anything. Although, the city he came from is a bit hotter than mine 78-89f, mine is around 78-82f and can drop to 70 at night (outside) 73 inside. Im worried that this is too cold for him and made him think winter is coming since its colder than what he is used to?
He's just closing the door!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam