• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

breeding colombians

tupifan

5 Year Member
I can't sem to find any information about breeding them.
does anyone know something about this, or someone who has bread them? I wouls like to try is myself but I'll need some information first

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I've read they've never been bred in this country. With the low prices they're sold for that all must be imported as hatchlings.

tupifan

5 Year Member
bert (agama international) told me they should be easyer to breed then argentine tegus becaus they don't need hibernation. the reason they aren't bred that often is because they are imported cheap. isn't there anyone who has bred them ?

Mike

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I don't think anyone has successfully bred them. AB wanted to, but he couldn't get a male. They lay eggs in abandoned termite nests, 6-8 per clutch. I'll wait till Bobby adds his input, although not much is known.

tupifan

5 Year Member
who's AB?
getting a male wasn't a problem for me, getting a female was much harder and more expensive.

Mike

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
tupifan said:
who's AB?
getting a male wasn't a problem for me, getting a female was much harder and more expensive.

AB=Ameivaboy, he's a mod.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
They might lay eggs in abandoned termite mounds too, but they have been seen laying eggs in active ones. However, I do not know anyone that has bred them in the U.S. I wish I could get more information on this as well, there is so little that is really known about tegus.

tupifan

5 Year Member
does anyone know what the temperature is in an termite mound?
why are the so cheap if nobody has bread them? are they all wild cought?

AB^

5 Year Member
They are so cheap because they are mostly farm raised animals (which really means gravid females are collected,nests are raided, etc etc in their native countries)

I am still hoping to take a shot a breeding them someday, but no male for now. Bert might have said they should be easier to breed because of lack of hibernation but in all reality I have found temperate (hibernating) species easier to breed (hibernation triggers breeding) than more tropical/sub tropical animals. Who can need a variation of temperatures, humidity/rainfall and other factors not as easy to simulate as just cooling an animal down for a few months.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
AB^ said:
They are so cheap because they are mostly farm raised animals (which really means gravid females are collected,nests are raided, etc etc in their native countries)

I am still hoping to take a shot a breeding them someday, but no male for now. Bert might have said they should be easier to breed because of lack of hibernation but in all reality I have found temperate (hibernating) species easier to breed (hibernation triggers breeding) than more tropical/sub tropical animals. Who can need a variation of temperatures, humidity/rainfall and other factors not as easy to simulate as just cooling an animal down for a few months.

That is a great point Kevin, I would agree with that on many different species.

tupifan

5 Year Member
if they collect the eggs they should know what conditions the eggs need to hatch, is there any information about this
(sorry for nagging but i've been trying to find it for a long time )

AB^

5 Year Member
Well,

No information is available that I have access too (JSTOR seems to have a good bit of information but can only be accessed via University students/Campus computers) I dont think incubating the eggs successfully should pose huge problems if one has experience incubating various reptile species eggs.

Then again there's always suprises.

The first step would certainly be finding out how to trigger the breeding through seasonal variations.
Then deal with egg dilemas when that comes about.

COWHER

5 Year Member
tupifan said:
if they collect the eggs they should know what conditions the eggs need to hatch, is there any information about this
(sorry for nagging but i've been trying to find it for a long time )
don't think of it as nagging someone will join sooner or later with incite on this. keep up the search and let us know what you find

nat

5 Year Member
I noticed on the reptilescanada.com classifieds that Port Credit Pets (a fairly popular pet store and reptile supplier in Canada) is selling captive bred columbians. I don't know if they actually are captive bred or what but I thought I would add that observation here since we are discussing the issue.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.reptilescanada.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=21995&cat=28">http://www.reptilescanada.com/classifie ... 995&cat=28</a><!-- m -->

I am pretty sure you need an account to view it though.

AB^

5 Year Member
it lists them as CB

I really hate the term CB.

CB can mean captive bred, but these days it usually refers too captive born which can mean a gravid animal dropped and they incubated the eggs, a nest was raided or the animals were farm raised/ranched. One of these scenarios is likely the case.

If they were listed as cbb, I would first think it was a flat out lie unless some proof was offered

Just my 2 cents

AB^

5 Year Member
here's the gist of the ad

Description: C.B. Baby Argentine Red Tegus - $225
C.B. Baby Argentine Black and White Tegus - $225
C.B. Baby Colombian Black and White Tegu - $80
36" C.B. Argentine Black and White Tegu - $300
24" C.B. Argentine Red Tegu - $375
18" C.B. Argentine Red Tegus - $295

Offers on trades and group purchases will be considered.

Shipping is available on Fridays at buyers expense. Pictures available by request.

Personally I wouldnt trust anyone willing to ship animals out on a friday. Especially this time of year. The safest days (for the animals) would be monday,Tuesday & Wednesday.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
They need to list them as CBBs Captive born and bred, for years CB meant captive bred, but now they change the meaning to captive born, IMO just another way to make a buyer think that they are more than what they are. CH or captive hatched from wild adults.

AB^

5 Year Member
VARNYARD said:
They need need to list them as CBBs Captive born and bred, for years CB meant captive bred, but now they change the meaning to captive born, IMO just another way to make a buyer think that they are more than what they are. CH or captive hatched from wild adults.

agreed, I rememeber bout 10 years ago all there was, was WC and CB now people are making things all difficult

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced