• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Breeding Argentine BW in countries without winter

franz_seE

Hi,

Im from the Philippines and we dont have winters. Im just curious if anybody has successfully bred argentine black and whites tegus before in a country that does not have winter as well.

If so, was there anything special that needed to be done like 'forcing' hibernation?

Thanks,
Franz

Jrock23

I would say contact underground reptiles, he can answer your question a lot better then I can.. Underground reptiles are located in California, they don't have winters either and he always have success in breeding there lizards..

Roadkill

5 Year Member
Where most of the tegus live in the wild they don't have a winter much like others would consider winter either. Those of the southern clade (genus Salvator) experience some cooling down, drier conditions, and slightly shorter photoperiod. However, it doesn't typically freeze and the photoperiod reduction is 1-2 hours max. Those of the northern clade (genus Tupinambis) experience very little "winter" in that they may see some drier weather, slightly shortening of photoperiod and a minor decline in temperature. This being said, both clades live within the Tropic of Capricorn, and beings as the Philippines exists within the Tropic of Cancer, I would assume photoperiods should be similar. However, being basically an island nation, the ocean is going to have moderating effects to keep the temperatures fairly consistent. I'll have to admit, though, I do not really know much about the Philippines or the kind of weather or seasons it experiences. A cooling down period certainly helps facilitate the resetting of the tegus hormonal cycles and induce breeding, but I wouldn't necessarily say it is absolutely necessary (definitely very helpful). It isn't necessarily the most common way to go, but if trying to modulate zeitgebers proves to be too difficult, you can always resort to hormone injections to get them into breeding.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced