• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Blue Tegu Terrible Threes???

Marcella Madril

Hello,

I'm FatFat's mom and was hoping to get a little help. I got FatFat as a hatchling - always been a pretty laid back boy. He's about 3, going on 4 years old and he's suddenly become VERY active (or at least "very" by his standards). He doesn't bite or act aggressively (we've already crossed that bridge).

He's my first Tegu so I don't have a a history of Tegu behavior to compare his behavior to. My question: is being very active a normal behavior for a 3.5 year old Tegu? He will wander around the house and just trash things. Chase the dogs, overturn the dogs' water and food dish, pick fights with his humidifier, climb on furniture, bite and rip down the horizontal blinds to the sliding glass door. I don't want to come off as being bothered because I'm not. My concern is, am I not doing enough to keep him entertained? Are there toys I can give him, exercises I can utilize? He goes outside with me when I let the dogs out and he will normally just bask but lately he has been chasing my dogs around the yard so I have to bring him in and give the dogs outside time and then switch them out.

Another thing I should mention. About 2 years ago, his Vet nearly demanded that I remove his Forest Floor substrate. I then expressed desire in going bioactive - she shot that down as well due to bacteria and mold. Which I felt was silly because isn't that the whole reason people go bioactive??? Anyhow, could he be acting out because he wants to burrow? Or could his behavior just be a result of trying to find himself a "lady friend"? Could it be the Tegu Terrible Twos I've heard about?

FatFat is otherwise healthy with an amazing appetite.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Lolol...That's hysterical - thanks for the visuals on that one. Now that you've kept him healthy for this long - I think he's just acting out. He sounds like a spoiled brat that is now going to assert some demands. I'm still laughing.

I really think you're instincts are the best indicator here - I don't have my Tegus out like you do - but if I did, I can only imagine that I'd be fighting their dominant instincts.

One last thing - I think the vet was right - mold would be a nuisance, but you have such a different free situation with him that I don't think it would be hard to overcome. Keep in mind, parasites love that environment.
Keep us informed....I love this story! :tegu::)

Hello,

I'm FatFat's mom and was hoping to get a little help. I got FatFat as a hatchling - always been a pretty laid back boy. He's about 3, going on 4 years old and he's suddenly become VERY active (or at least "very" by his standards). He doesn't bite or act aggressively (we've already crossed that bridge).

He's my first Tegu so I don't have a a history of Tegu behavior to compare his behavior to. My question: is being very active a normal behavior for a 3.5 year old Tegu? He will wander around the house and just trash things. Chase the dogs, overturn the dogs' water and food dish, pick fights with his humidifier, climb on furniture, bite and rip down the horizontal blinds to the sliding glass door. I don't want to come off as being bothered because I'm not. My concern is, am I not doing enough to keep him entertained? Are there toys I can give him, exercises I can utilize? He goes outside with me when I let the dogs out and he will normally just bask but lately he has been chasing my dogs around the yard so I have to bring him in and give the dogs outside time and then switch them out.

Another thing I should mention. About 2 years ago, his Vet nearly demanded that I remove his Forest Floor substrate. I then expressed desire in going bioactive - she shot that down as well due to bacteria and mold. Which I felt was silly because isn't that the whole reason people go bioactive??? Anyhow, could he be acting out because he wants to burrow? Or could his behavior just be a result of trying to find himself a "lady friend"? Could it be the Tegu Terrible Twos I've heard about?

FatFat is otherwise healthy with an amazing appetite.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
It could be a lot of factors! And about entertaining your taegu they entertain themselves it is the most inquisitive animal you'll ever deal with he is constantly going to look for things to get his nose into. When people say they're taking who is having mood swings I say where do you live what is your ambient temperature what is your tegus temperature when your taegu leaves his habitat he's like a battery-operated toy. When his battery runs down in other words gets cold, he's going to be paved much differently then when his body is nice and warm and he's fed. Is he going through Pon Farr LOL sounds like you got a healthy pet there! Temperature temperature temperature 115 to 125 degree hot spot a middle-range temp 85 to 90 and a cool and in case they get too hot. I would love to talk further!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam