• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Black throat likes and dislikes

Dana C

My monitor's behavior never ceases to fascinate me. Take yesterday for example. My brother stopped by and walked through my lizard room to get to my postage stamp sized office. I went in to greet him and opened Kinabo's sliding plexiglass door to give him a scratch. He was warm, I knew that but he was also flat nasty, tail whipping, hissing, retreating etc. Mind you, my brother wasn't close but Kinabo could see him. I left Kinabo alone and left the room. My brother left after a minutes and I went back into the lizard room. I opened the cage and it was like old home week. I gave Kinabo a pat, scratched his chin, stroked his head and he was generally his usual nice guy self.
I have had neighborhood kids come in an look at him and he was fine with them giving him a pat or two. For what ever reason he really has it in for my brother. Scott just being in his room irritates him. The boy definately has his likes and dislikes.

On another note, the hard core Varanus guys would hate seeing me wipe Kinabos face after he has eaten, or getting him to finish his food by feeding him with a fork. He lets me pick sheds, clip his nails, (somewhat), and generally is very easy to handle. He has no problem when in the bathroom with crawling up on me for warmth and "20 winks".

Dana C

I don't really hate them. Anyone can be successful raising a pet monitor following the guidelines provided in care sheets. Doing something differently which is also sucesfull is not in the lexicon of those folks. My BT, Kinabo is fairly tame and looks at me as a security blanket when he is not in his enlcosure. When I sit on the floor in the bathroom with him, he does really fall asleep on my chest and his breathing slows to 3-4 breaths a minute. When he sleeps on me I can clip nails, peel shed and do pretty much anything with him and he doesn't wake up. Having a very tame monitor, even a black throat which are known for being tractable, is an anathema to them. Fortunately many people have very tame BT's and Savs. Practically, having a tame 5'-6' 50 pound lizard that likes attention is much more desirable than a wild one that can really hurt you.

I haven't had any other monitors so I can't speak about the behavior of other species or other owners experiences. All I have earned the right to speak about is Kinabo, my relationship with him, and how I care for him. I have learned his timing and moods. For instance, he is pissy and out of sorts until he takes a crap late morning. Then he is fine. As I said my brother lights him up. He freaks when out of doors. When up tight, just talking to him helps him relax.

I got Kinabo in a trade not intending to breed, not as a "display" huge lizard, not to impress and not to pretend to observe the wild behaviors of a monitor in a box. I got him to do what I am doing, bonding and taming a very large lizard. I do experiment with behavior and training but it is still very early on. He has grown 15" since early March and is enjoying an easy shed. He craps a massive amount and pees like a race horse. So I am thinking he is getting plenty of well balanced nutrition and is well hydrated.

No, I don't hate them. I just wish they would be more accepting of things that work other than those espoused by a couple of Varanus people that they worship.

m3s4

I don't know what to think, but I do tend to think like us, animals of all varieties like who they like and the same can be said about those they do not like.

I can only say that our local reptile spot out here has a 4 year old black-throat that probably wghs 20 lbs. and is twice the size of my largest Tegu, Ally - who wghs in at 9lbs.

This black throat, uniquely named Mr. Jangles, has his free run of the entire shop and is socialized to the max. Anyone can pet him, feed him or interact with him and he is by far, the tamest (most socialized) reptile I have come across.

You'd have to step on him or do something very, very unpleasant to make him whip you or try and get feisty.

Just a casual observation here, and maybe my input will help you along your path with your black-throat.

Cheers.

Scott_k

@Dana I definetly understand where your coming from, I myself have a savannah and a young Nile and when talking on other forums( strictly monitor forums) asking for ideas or help alot of as you say varanus guys are so set in this is how it has to be done and there is no other way except this. That the feeling I get from alot of them. I know I do things with my monitors that would make them loose their minds. I believe in to each their own, if it works keep doing it. One of my biggest things is how people say let the monitor be don't bother it, it will eventually come around, at some point the animal needs to be held. I'm in the military so I'm gone alot. I recently came back from a month long training event and my sav loves my wife she can touch him, I can't that's because she held him every day and she has had great results. That just one of the many examples of how other ways work, and going against the norm. No one knows an individual animal as well as the owner, just my two cents.

Bntegus

now dana be nice. not all monitor people are bad just some lol and most tegu lovers are just as bad with there ways lol.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980