• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Bioactive enclosure - sugar ant infestation!

Nya Wasp

Hi y'all!

I have my red tegu in a 8 x 3 x 3 custom cage with soil, mulch, grass, and a variety of fake plants, hides, rocks, basking platforms, and cork tree bark etc.

But my Virginia native sugar ants have decided to join my enclosure!

Are they safe for my tegu, she doesn't seem to mind but they are everywhere!

Are there any plants or food sources or other insects I should introduce to keep the balance?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

-Nya

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
mix 1 tablespoon of borax (a laundry booster related to boric acid, but milder) with 1 tablespoon of powdered sugar, and then blend in just enough shortening or lard to make the mixture crumbly (about a teaspoon).

Put crumbs of bait on pieces of waxed paper and place them near ant trails.

You can even use water instead of shortening, place in test tube with cotton plg and lay on its side.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You're welcome. It's a good recipe for around the house as well.

TripleTegus

Yes the borax could be potentially dangerous if consumed by the tegu unfortunately. Definitely better to try and make some kind of enclosed trap so to speak. Maybe use an older small Tupperware container and cut small holes in the side toward the bottom that the ants can get in but the tegu can't reach your bait mixture.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced