• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

between the tub...and the enclosure

Jorgo

Hey fellas! This might be a bit of an odd question. But when exactly did folks start using the tub method for their tegus, if they did so? I been working on getting mines trust, and i would like to use this method, but unsure of...well the best way to get them to the tub.

Do people just firmly grasp the tegu and bring them to the tub? (Bit worried this may make them afraid of my hand and make progress go backwards)
Trick them into a box for transport?
Wait until the tegu is decently comfortable with hand-holding?

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
hey you can do this from any age but I'd personally resist the firm grabbing for transport as you say this could take progress backwards.

you can train in the enclosure I did just place your hand in there not to touch but so your guy can familiarise its self with you and just move closer over time.

I also did the box method though once Alpha (my guy) was used to my hand a little.

Alexandria Nelson

Hello,
My husband and I sit in a small bathroom with ours and let him come to us. ( he’s only a couple months old) Now after two months he loves climbing and sitting on our shoulders and automatically comes to our hands cause he knows he’s gonna get out and play. Sometimes I think he trusts us to much he just starts walking and jumping off our arms or legs expecting us to catch him. We have a larger water bowl in his enclosure for him and he soaks himself it’s his favorite spot now.

Bram040

Today i finaly made some progress after almost 2 months. He finally stopt darting away when i entered the room so i thought lets try bathing, i bought an 140L plastic storage box with wheels, i filled it with like 10 cm luke warm watter and then roll the box across the hall to my reptile room.
The day before i took all her hides away and replaced it by a cartboard box with a flap cut out and let her get used to her new box hide for 1 day.
Then it was realy easy just pick the box out and open in the tub.
Im gonna make myself a plastic one though, cuz the box got all wet

Bram040

Btw that was my 4th attempt of bathing, and the first method that acutaly worked :p

Attachments

• 20190928_143958.jpg
    20190928_143958.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 24

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980