• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Bad pet shape

Dontae Iusi

I bought a black and white tegu from a pet store he had it with another tegu but they had no lights on them for a week. He claimed the other tegu beats her to the food and in my mind I'm like why didnt you separated them but what do I know right, well anyways 10 days no eating she barely drinks water. What can I do to get her to eat, he said he will take her back but not give me my money which I wouldn't give her back due to the conditions in his store. Please reach out to me. Pennsylvania. She is 24 inches long.

Attachments

• Snapchat-1011354301.jpg
    Snapchat-1011354301.jpg
    601.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 15944137852108315958382636638231.jpg
    15944137852108315958382636638231.jpg
    678.3 KB · Views: 64

rantology

poor baby. Don't panic. Try to offer her some fuzzy mice or similar, they find those hard to resist. Same with large crickets and roaches. make sure she is hydrated, perhaps give her a soak or two for about 15-20 minutes (supervised - they *can* drown especially if weak). You can also try a few different fruits like berries, papaya, mango. Egg, too. 10 days without UVB shouldnt have any lasting consequences but do get her under good lighting if you havent, that will help her perk up. And make sure you have a nice 115~ degrees basking spot for her, that is important for good appetite and digestion.

Babies are known to go off feed when stressed especially when recently moved for a week or more, so it's likely she will be fine as long as you can get her settled and eating again.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
poor baby. Don't panic. Try to offer her some fuzzy mice or similar, they find those hard to resist. Same with large crickets and roaches. make sure she is hydrated, perhaps give her a soak or two for about 15-20 minutes (supervised - they *can* drown especially if weak). You can also try a few different fruits like berries, papaya, mango. Egg, too. 10 days without UVB shouldnt have any lasting consequences but do get her under good lighting if you havent, that will help her perk up. And make sure you have a nice 115~ degrees basking spot for her, that is important for good appetite and digestion.

Babies are known to go off feed when stressed especially when recently moved for a week or more, so it's likely she will be fine as long as you can get her settled and eating again.

Great advice ........ just want to repeat the don't panic ...... Settling in can take its time.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Fresh water, a thermal gradient, basking at 110F, ambient in mid-80sF, a 70sF hide, UV, 12 hr day. A steady routine.with a worn shirt of yours in its hide. Unless underlying problems, will rally soon enough. Coat food in egg yolk as a starter. Soon, get her to a vet for a check-up.

I second what Rant and Alpha said.

wildartist

5 Year Member
Good for you on saving her! She may have her hibernation settings kicked in, which good UVB, warmth, and quiet soaks will do wonders for. I’d always have two products on hand: Rep-Cal Herpivite and Calcium, start light, they’ll perk her appetite. I always fed crazy variety, my gal preferred eggs, ground turkey, vegetables and dog food.
Best of luck to you, sounds like she’s a lucky Tegu to have you.
*Forever searching for my Natari, adored and award winning Tegu, stolen by the Sergeants.

Dylan koch

You do have her with uvb and heat lamp right? And she is very very skinny for her length!!! She could also be impacted and why she wont eat! If she doesnt eat soon a vet visit might be needed to see if impacted. If not you may have to force feed.. or grind it if all else doesn't work like the crickets, pinkies and ect. Pinkies they do have hard time resisting same with fish like cod or salmon in tiny pieces of course. But smelly stuff they love, like chicken gizzards and hearts cut, chicken liver. Also make sure she is getting supplements like calcium and d3 and ect! Specially due to the lack of care on pets stores behalf. I would also write bad reviews and report to better business bureau

I bought a black and white tegu from a pet store he had it with another tegu but they had no lights on them for a week. He claimed the other tegu beats her to the food and in my mind I'm like why didnt you separated them but what do I know right, well anyways 10 days no eating she barely drinks water. What can I do to get her to eat, he said he will take her back but not give me my money which I wouldn't give her back due to the conditions in his store. Please reach out to me. Pennsylvania. She is 24 inches long.

Dylan koch

Good for you on saving her! She may have her hibernation settings kicked in, which good UVB, warmth, and quiet soaks will do wonders for. I’d always have two products on hand: Rep-Cal Herpivite and Calcium, start light, they’ll perk her appetite. I always fed crazy variety, my gal preferred eggs, ground turkey, vegetables and dog food.
Best of luck to you, sounds like she’s a lucky Tegu to have you.
*Forever searching for my Natari, adored and award winning Tegu, stolen by the Sergeants.
You had a tegu stolen by the police? Why?

Make sure the temperature is kept at least at 86 degrees 118 warm spot. Are you feeding live food?

He's a great-looking tagu. I'm sure what the proper temperatures and live food he'll come out of it. Remember a tegu that small thinks that everything's going to eat it!
Let him acclimate to his new environment.

Last edited:

Dylan koch

Since my tegu was small I always feed him some crushed shell from the eggs! A natural source of calcium.
Ya I always crush the shells very fine and mix them in with the meal like ground turkey and ect. Or feed quail eggs. But some times with quail eggs one of my tegus would crush it eat the inside and not shell

Amy Broxham

Poor baby! Take her to the vet.

Dylan koch

I have a thermometer for temp and humidity. But I usually have 2 hides. One on cool side and one on hot. That I built out of wood. The one on hot side has like concrete slab on top of hide so the can warm thei belly too and in winter months I also have a under tank heater/heat pad as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam