1. Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email josh@tegutalk.com!
    Dismiss Notice

Baby tegus

Discussion in 'Tegu Enclosures' started by Mario, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Mario

Mario New Member

I'm looking at getting two baby Tegus and i'm wondering if I can keep them to start off in a 40 gallon together. I have looked around and found that keeping tegus together is ok providing that they are the same size. Can anyone confirm please or should I go ahead and try to get another 40 gallon tank to separate them.
  2. VenusAndSaturn

VenusAndSaturn Active Member

I'm not too sure on the cohabbing portion but I will say a 40 gallon won't work at all, not for a single tegu and definitely not for a pair of tegus. A 40 gallon is normally around 36 inches, a tegu can easily grow to 20 inches in a single month if properly cared for. You can sort of see the problem there.
    I'd go no lower than a 4x2x2 for a baby tegu, with that size of an enclosure it actually will last you a year at the very most before needing to upgrade rather than only a few weeks or a month. At least with a single tegu that is, I assume pairs need even more space.