• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Baby tegu hibernation

Tyler Bevers

my 4 month old male argentine black and white tegu has gone down for hibernation but I’m worried that this will make him a smaller adult. Is this true? Or will he end up the same size as if he didn’t go down for hibernation? Thank you!

Rusty7486

My blue did the same. They will go through growth spurts and catch up eventually. It doesn't stunt their growth, they just get to full size a little slower.

Tegus=Life

Why would you think it would make it smaller? Of course not, my only worry is on of my tegus that is about a year and a half has been hibernating for two months and she was 1.8 ounces now she is 1.6, i have tried to keep her from hibernating but its her nature, im just worried about the weight loss although tiny, my two and a half ish year old tegu is still eating fine, she stopped for like 3 weeks and started again a week ago.