• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Asian Water Monitors

m3s4

Looking at getting a high-yellow juvenile soon. I know they can get huge and need some specialized housing but...

From what I've read, basking temps and UVB lighting requirements look similar to a tegu's. With the exception of needing more humidity and a large area for soaking, is there anything else I'd need to know about them?

They look relatively easy to maintain, live for quite a long time, get huge and can make awesome pets.

From what I understand, the biggest draw-back is size, but where I live that won't be a problem.

Any suggestions?

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
[align=left]They require a much higher basking spot than tegus. Mine used spots as high as 155. Whole prey is recommended to be used 100% as their diet. Rats, mice, chicks, whole fish are great items. Humidity is much more important[/align] like you said.

m3s4

Thanks for the heads up.

Adjusting the basking temps/spot is easy enough as is diet. Only thing is, I could see going broke feeding a 40lb.+ monitor...Once mature, I could see feeding 2x a week if that's feasible...Otherwise...ouch.

Laura - by enclosure do you mean an entire back-yard? :)

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
He will want food more than twice a week. They digest very quickly. Every other day is more realistic.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You know, it is not and I am surprised. I'm guessing it is some sort of an indoor housing 8ft enclosure when they are not free roaming????

yulyani

Water monitor is the best ! ( the same like tegu). They are very2 intelegent and will make a very affectionate pet....I hope you will get yours soon. In Indonesia it's easy to get one, but the original pattern mostly. Here is two of my very beloved lizard MJ and jelly both of them are salvators,....MJ is about 2,5 years, jelly is about 1 year or more....

Dana C

I saw a "Python Hunter" episode recently where the boys went to Thailand. In a park in the middle of Bangkok, they caught and re-homed a couple of pyhons and caught a couple of HUGE water monitors. Evidently, the monitors make the park home, eating rats birds or whatever else they can catch. The two featured were upwards of 7' and were caught with very little difficulty. When picked up, they didn't fight it, hiss, whip or bite. One of the guys carried one over his shoulder for a while until the weight got to be a bit much. According to the policemen interviewed, the monitors keep down the pest population and coexist with park visitors well and have done so for years. I guess as babies hatch and grow they are caught and re-homed but the big ones are allowed to free roam that park and other parks in various cities in Thailand.
It really was an astounding thing to see. It was especially gratifying to see the appreciation of those wonderful lizards by their human visitors, police and park keepers.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam