• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Asian Water Monitor-Varanus Salvator

Kingjaffejo

5 Year Member
Does anyone here keep these, I find them very interesting as well. If anyone does own one, I would like to know how they are. I know they require room space conditions, with water to swim. How is there temprement? Are they easy to tame?

hoosier

5 Year Member
i used to keep one. they are wicked smart and can take advantage of you being careless but overall they are one of the "tamest" monitors you can get when its full grown. it all depends on the individual. try varanus.nl you will have much better luck talking to owners. :cheers

TEGU_JAKE

5 Year Member
ive had 1 for about a year and it was pretty tame it didnt bite or whip just run when i tried to pick it up. i got rid of it because i felt i liked my tegu better but i wish i kept mine. it had an amazing feeding response

Terry

5 Year Member
8x6x6 is not nearly big enough. Monitors are some of they most active lizards ever. A water will need atleast a 16x8x8. But if your using and out door cage try to go bigger, way bigger.

s4sainz

Theese guys are cool, they just get too large.
There is so many different localities.
DSC_0699-1.jpg

DSC_0698-1.jpg

DSC_0698.jpg

DSC04867.jpg

DSC04869.jpg

DSC04865.jpg

DSC04871.jpg

DSC03955.jpg

DSC04898.jpg

DSC03943.jpg

DSC03942.jpg

AWD247

5 Year Member
I've owned a few waters.. 1st thing im going to say is ROOOOM!
To own one of these properly you need to give it as much room as you can,. do your research on your enclosure,. This monitor needs to stay active, needs to always have interaction with you, handling as much as possible, as mentioned above these are one of the smartest monitors you can get, this moitor is also known for being the best at learning to tolerate handling more and more when growing,. (tame).
Alot of people including myself love this monitor cause its so smart, gets extremely big and always gets attention,.. but the fact remains that this can also if not taken care of properly,. and handled DAILY.. can be one of the most dangerous monitors. A defensive bite or attack bite can do serious damage, there also know for tearing at whatevers grabbing it with their claws to get away too,.
Now im not saying this to scare or talk bad about waters.. this is just someting people should know cause ive seen alot of people who get suckered into buying either wild caught babies or unhandled waters at expos and end up with a monster there scared of,..

Now with that said,.
You want to interact with them just as you would with a tegu,. proper diet, seperate feeding bin,. constant handling,. etc. I personally recommend handling without gloves,. if you handle with gloves you cant judge the claws correctly or know when it get tense,. when handling I always kept an emory board or strip of light sand paper to file the nails down when your handling,. just enough to round off the nail so it doesnt scratch you all up when handling also try to stay away from cutting the nails at a young age, 1: cause you might cut too close and hit a vein, 2: cause if improperly cut/cracked they can become infected and host bacteria from constant water contact, walking on food or feces and cause the nail to become deformed or lost.
Keep in mind that your enclosure needs to be very large and in my personal opinion should be atleast 1/2 water, so your looking at minimum over 8ft for up to a sub adult, obviously you can start off smaller for a baby but these guys grow extremely fast and your enclosure will be well over 8ft when reaching adulthood, which is one of the reasons people house then outdoor.

Best thing you can do for this monitor is research., make sure you can house it properly before hand, make sure youll be able to feed it correctly cause it will get expensive, and make sure you have the time to handle it daily and youll love it. They are awesome!

TEGU_JAKE

5 Year Member
Im actually talking to a guy right now and I might get it this weekend if it all works out. If I do Ill post pics

s4sainz

Jake,
Im local i have a few waters to choose from 75-100, depending on contrast, they are sumatrans, so they get alot of yellow

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam