• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Are you freakin serious!?!!

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Wow some people will say anything to try and rehome an animal, am i the only one who have a problem with this craigslist ad

12' boa

tora

But, what if I want to take pictures of it with a baby? Would that still be okay you think? :p

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I really hope he/she dosent have children

I really hope he/she dosent have children

tora

Yeah I know. Never trust a reptile 100% especially when it comes to children. Ugh, it just makes me think of all those reports of kids, even teens, being killed by large snakes because of stupid adults. That thing is fat too, it'd overpower a kid without much problem I figure.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
tora said:
Yeah I know. Never trust a reptile 100% especially when it comes to children. Ugh, it just makes me think of all those reports of kids, even teens, being killed by large snakes because of stupid adults. That thing is fat too, it'd overpower a kid without much problem I figure.

what reports of snakes killing kids and teens???

I don't agree with the ad completely, but anyone looking to buy a snake should do their research.

tora

One python killed a 15 year old boy in his sleep, and another killed a 2 year old girl. There might be more, but these are the ones I remember. It happening one time is one time too many in my eyes though, because it could have been easily avoided. Thankfully it is very rare.

Edit: Just found another one, 19 year old boy.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I agree one time is one time too many but when you said "all those reports" I thought you knew of quite a few cases.

herpgirl2510

I think under adult supervision a child an handle big snakes. There are far more reports that dogs have attacked chilren than snakes.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I don't have a problem with it. I have a 12ft albino Burm and one of the reasons I took him in was that he had been around children and had never struck (he's 12years old now). He had a lot of experience being petted by the lady's grandchildren and neighborhood children. Since I do educational shows with the public, that was important to me. She didn't let kids handle him alone, it meant the snake had been exposed to children and had a good track record. This ad could mean the same thing, that children can pet him, etc and it is tame. It doesn't mean leave young children alone unsupervised with a large python. The snake looks very well cared for.

As for the current trial in Florida...those people are idiots. They only had the python for a month or so, did not have the required permit, it was under fed, it escaped all the time, and the dad kept it in a mesh laundry bag (with a hole in it) in a tank with a quilt for a cover. I mean come on, how stupid can you get? The roof was falling in in the back of the house and they have since been arrested on drug charges. They weren't exactly the most attentive parents or snake owners as it is.

tora

I see handled and pet as totally different things. Handled: holding, restraining. Petting is much safer and more acceptable as far as kids interacting. That way the owner still has control of the animal. And I mean, as you see in that FL case, people can be real stupid. The wording in the ad might lead someone to believe their kid can play with the snake whenever.

Grendel

I have 4 kids and there is now way I would ever consider a 12 foot snake as a
kids pet. We have two "small" snakes, a hogg
island boa and a ball python, but they are
not pets, like our cat or dog.

herpgirl2510

My reptiles are pets to me just like my dogs whom I love dearly. I would not trust them in the same way because they are wild animals but still pets.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The thing is, here in chicago i see alot of younger people who have no business owning an ant let alone a reptile, they walk around with these large snakes and lizards sometimes even an alligator very carelessly, the problem i have is promoting a child handling a 12' snake, sure petting under close supervision im fine with, i have let my 3 y/o sister pet my 4' tegus, idk i just get nervous with large snakes and kids, especially after seeing so many here neglected

herpgirl2510

There are irresponsible pet owners out there it does not matter if it is a reptile or a dog. Statistically speaking Dogs are far more dangerous than snakes. I certaintly do not agree with people taking their large snakes outdoors in the public. I am do not including things like birthday parties, schools etc.. There is a guy that would come to gloucester with his albino python in the back of his truck and he would sit in the grass in the middle of the boardwalk with it. People were terrified guy is obviously a total idiot. I have no idea how a person thinks they have the slighest amount of control if it chose to bolt.

wallace&mick

my 9ft can nearly overpower me when i had a slight run in with him only happened once but sure as hell shock me up doesn't make me scared or anything but i know where his hea is and still do all the things i used to i know he bite and constricted me because a rabbit was sitting on top of his cage and my body heat = disatar luckily i new what i was doing and the snake wasn't to keen and trying to take me down as i had him just as much as he had me now as i think back prettydamn lucky but ah well if your gonna own big snakes be prepared for a bite or 2 just don't let kids handle them on there own or at all if possible

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Well, the owner said it needs a very good home, so I would think he is being careful about rehoming it. I've seen Burms stuffed into bird cages, dog kennels, and all kinds of crap. It looks to come from a good home.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980