• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Are Tegus that active?

Abner

My 3-week old Tegu is extremely active from 11AM to 5PM. She is like non-stop going from one side of her terrain (currently a 3x2x2) to the other. Trying to climb and digging like there is not tomorrow. Banking spot is 100 degrees, middle of terrain is 85, and cool side is about 80. She has two bowls of water, one to drink and one for her to submerge if she desires, even thou I never seen her submerging in any one of the bowls other than by falling in them when trying to climb. Is her behavior normal or is she not happy?

Abner

Yeah, Due to the habitat size ’m having a difficult time having a 70 degree cold side and keeping the basking spot hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Abner

@Zyn, I'm trying to work with what I have now. Thank you @Walter1 and @Gary; I have changed the settings, last night the habitat was 70 degrees and today the cold side stayed around 75 and the rest of the habitat in the 80's, the only think is that her basking spot only gets to 92 with this new setting. She was very calm today.
d634af0ad4ae8d0c6dd216f43ce78db2.jpg

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Cool and middle/ambienbnt are fine, but the basking temp should be higher 110-115 f.

Abner

@Walter1, working on that. Hopefully by next month I have the custom habitat completed and it should be more easier to control the temperature inside her habitat.

Interesting enough, today she was hyper again, and then she pee on her basking and calmed down. Perhaps she was telling me to take her out so she can pee :).

Last edited:

Zyn

Didn’t mean it any a mean way your set up looks fine now that I’ve seen it. Just make sure you’re reading the surface temp at on the basking spot and not the ambient

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I support what Zyn says. You're on yor way. You must know/remember the goldilocks of tegu temps. We're glad to help you.

Ariel

@Zyn, I'm trying to work with what I have now. Thank you @Walter1 and @Gary; I have changed the settings, last night the habitat was 70 degrees and today the cold side stayed around 75 and the rest of the habitat in the 80's, the only think is that her basking spot only gets to 92 with this new setting. She was very calm today.
d634af0ad4ae8d0c6dd216f43ce78db2.jpg
That is a perfectly fine size dont listen to mis information ... some put in a 20 gallon stater tank so that tank is perfect or possibly so big they will move around and explore a lot , put places where they can climb and keep their mins active , you can raise the basking spot and put a slate rock to hold heat put down some moss and two water bowls one large one small on different sides...which
20210805_092111.jpg
20210804_035745.jpg
20210805_112109.jpg
youve done but when their small they love to climb , spray down the glass to raise humidity or tape off unused open spaces on top where lighting wont touch it also , here is some photos of 20 gallon starter tank and now almost a month 40 gallon as yours , hopw this helps ,...also the little trap door on top you can place a humidifier hose reptile humidifier and set on low , this 40 gallon tank removes excess smoke great so wont sufficate animal and controls humidity!

Ariel

My 3-week old Tegu is extremely active from 11AM to 5PM. She is like non-stop going from one side of her terrain (currently a 3x2x2) to the other. Trying to climb and digging like there is not tomorrow. Banking spot is 100 degrees, middle of terrain is 85, and cool side is about 80. She has two bowls of water, one to drink and one for her to submerge if she desires, even thou I never seen her submerging in any one of the bowls other than by falling in them when trying to climb. Is her behavior normal or is she not happy?
hes just bored , this is a old post I see but just wanted to respond in case others see this and possibly can help them .

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hoeiyehi