1. Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email josh@tegutalk.com!
    Dismiss Notice

Are Tegus that active?

Discussion in 'General Tegu Discussion' started by Abner, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Abner

Abner New Member

My 3-week old Tegu is extremely active from 11AM to 5PM. She is like non-stop going from one side of her terrain (currently a 3x2x2) to the other. Trying to climb and digging like there is not tomorrow. Banking spot is 100 degrees, middle of terrain is 85, and cool side is about 80. She has two bowls of water, one to drink and one for her to submerge if she desires, even thou I never seen her submerging in any one of the bowls other than by falling in them when trying to climb. Is her behavior normal or is she not happy?
  2. Walter1

Walter1 Moderator Staff Member 1,000+ Post Club

You have her in an oven, and she wants out.
  3. Abner

Abner New Member

Yeah, Due to the habitat size ’m having a difficult time having a 70 degree cold side and keeping the basking spot hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. Gary

Gary Member

Agreed. Sounds like desperate attempts to thermoregate
  5. Zyn

Zyn Active Member

Get a bigger enclosure then
  6. Abner

Abner New Member

@Zyn, I'm trying to work with what I have now. Thank you @Walter1 and @Gary; I have changed the settings, last night the habitat was 70 degrees and today the cold side stayed around 75 and the rest of the habitat in the 80's, the only think is that her basking spot only gets to 92 with this new setting. She was very calm today.
    [​IMG]
  7. Walter1

Cool and middle/ambienbnt are fine, but the basking temp should be higher 110-115 f.
  8. Abner

Abner New Member

@Walter1, working on that. Hopefully by next month I have the custom habitat completed and it should be more easier to control the temperature inside her habitat.

Interesting enough, today she was hyper again, and then she pee on her basking and calmed down. Perhaps she was telling me to take her out so she can pee :).
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  9. Zyn

Zyn Active Member

Didn’t mean it any a mean way your set up looks fine now that I’ve seen it. Just make sure you’re reading the surface temp at on the basking spot and not the ambient
  10. Abner

Abner New Member

@Zyn I didn't take it that way, I appreciate anyone taking time to say something. Today I got my "Digital Infrared Thermometer" and it seems that I have the correct temperatures. Her basking is around 115 F, ambient is around 85, and cool side is around 75.
  11. Walter1

I support what Zyn says. You're on yor way. You must know/remember the goldilocks of tegu temps. We're glad to help you.