• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Are clear Infrared bulbs ok to use?

Touc

5 Year Member
I'm looking at getting bulbs like this or this that are clear infrared. Is it ok if I use these types of bulbs for my tegu for heat? The Zoomed basking bulbs burn out super quick and the other flood light bulbs I was buying are discontinued. Thanks.

Zyn

Like you said the zoo meds just don't last and are
Very fragile. I've moved to using outdoor flood lights any brand will work from lowes just get whatever wattage is needed to get the correct hot spot temps and also supply a secondary source of UVB. This has been working much better for sev at a much reduced price and much higher durablity.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I, too, have been very didappointed in zoomed lights.

dpjm

5 Year Member
Both those lights that you linked to are good. They are a bit different, though. The first is a 250 W incandescent lamp with a rounded face. It will spread heat out in a wider area. The other is a 175 W halogen with a flat face. It will create a hot spot without affecting the surrounding area as much. I use both those lamp types in my enclosures and I would recommend them over pet store brands.

Ginny Mastandrea

Like you said the zoo meds just don't last and are
Very fragile. I've moved to using outdoor flood lights any brand will work from lowes just get whatever wattage is needed to get the correct hot spot temps and also supply a secondary source of UVB. This has been working much better for sev at a much reduced price and much higher durablity.
I bought my UV at Petco but bought the bulbs both clear and infrared and the silver domes to put them in at a feed store. Bulbs $5.24 and large silver domes $10. They seem to get pretty hot so I have to use rocks to lift up the distance from my Tegu. I need 2 more temperature gauges to keep a good eye. I’m home pretty much all the time so I can monitor the temps. I just got him today. I also have a baby Nile Monitor. He’s very secretive and does bite pretty much every time I pick him up. I keep handling to a minimum but sometimes I have to pick him up using the scoop method. I’ve had him about 2-3 months

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam