• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

And our other two T's...

jdpFL

Adult Tucson Blonde, and juvenile A. metallica.

Attachments

• IMAG0379.jpg
    IMAG0379.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMAG0375.jpg
    IMAG0375.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5

BillieJeAn

oh goodness.
as cool as they are, i could never bring myself to bring one into my home or get close to it.
i'm a wimp :( lol

theyre pretty though:)

jdpFL

They really are a lot of fun to keep, and relatively low maintenance. There are a lot of factors to consider when choosing your first tarantula, however. Some species are more skittish than others...some more likely to bite...venom strength varies...some are very fast, some like to jump, while there are quite a few species that are just as content to sit on your hand as they are in their habitat. Generally terrestrial species are easier to keep...calmer and don't jump like the arboreals. "New world" tarantulas (from North and South America) are usually more docile although they may kick hairs that can irritate your skin. "Old world" tarantulas are usually more likely to bite and have stronger venom. (from Asia, Africa, etc.)
Compared to any other pet you can think of, they are very easy to care for. They don't require a lot of space...a small "critter keeper"or other clear plastic container is sufficient. Good substrate is important for keeping humidity high (for some species)...and burrowing needs. Add a tiny shallow water dish and a hide and you are all set! They don't need to be handled, (you'll find some species affectionately labeled as ' look don't touch') but most don't mind at all as long as they aren't manhandled. You do need to be comfortable enough touching them to take care of their enclosure or rescue them if they should wander out during a cleaning, water change, feeding, etc. Even a short fall can be fatal to a tarantula.
There are so many different species, it is easy to find one that would be perfect for you if you do a little research. IMO, a common Chilean Rose hair or a Mexican Red Knee might be good for a beginner. Both are usually very docile although of course that can vary depending on the individual.
Anyway, hope this isn't more info than you wanted, I could talk about tarantulas all day...I think they're amazing....lol.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam