• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

American Alligator

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I got an American Alligator and was wondering if he will be ok in a 20 gallon long enclosure? Also I bought some deli meat to feed him. Should I dust it with calcium?

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
Honestly you could get away with a 15 for a couple weeks until you get his permanent enclosure set up. Say a uhhh 40 gallon? You don't need heat they do great at room temp.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Well I already have the 20, it may take me a year or so to get a 40. Will he be ok in the 20 for that long?? I'm thinking I may need a fan to keep him cool. It gets up to 80 degrees in my house in the summer.

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
james.w said:
Well I already have the 20, it may take me a year or so to get a 40. Will he be ok in the 20 for that long?? I'm thinking I may need a fan to keep him cool. It gets up to 80 degrees in my house in the summer.

The 20 will do fine for a couple of years! Also, gummy bears are the key to taming them down. A fan should work just fine. It's not like he'll need a large enclosure/pond/habitat for a long while man. Ive found that turkey bologna and cold cuts from the deli are the best staples. Dont worry about him getting out either, just tape the top down. They love glass tanks with screen tops, trust me..

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Oh god. . . :/ all kidding aside, I wanted an alligator at one time. Hearing almost the same type of thing you guys were joking about. (Kept in tank etc and fed raw chicken. ) once I did more research and also visited some 'surrendered ' ones at zoo creatures I opted for a tegu instead. Poor gators being kept in houses/tanks even. Growth being stunted so much that their bones were deformed and 4 or 5 yr olds with dark coloration of adults reaching only a full grown tegu's size. So sad. . . Maybe if I moved to warmer climate I could open a 'rescue farm ' on a nice piece of land for all the reptiles people f'ed up with tiny enclosures and lunch meat. Ah...in a perfect world. (Actually in a perfect world there'd be no need... )

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Feed him hot dogs. That's what all the tourists do around here so it must be good for them. And you don't need calcium because they make that themselves. Any tank you use will be fine because they only grow to the size of enclosure. Geesh james, I figured you at least knew that much.

elmo

laurarfl said:
Feed him hot dogs. That's what all the tourists do around here so it must be good for them. And you don't need calcium because they make that themselves. Any tank you use will be fine because they only grow to the size of enclosure. Geesh james, I figured you at least knew that much.

lmbo!! guess james isn't as smart as we thought!!

TeguBlake

elmo said:
laurarfl said:

i wouldnt go that far. lol:p

elmo said:
laurarfl said:

i wouldnt go that far. lol:p

also could you post a picture?

frost

1,000+ Post Club
haha i saw this post at first and i was thinking someone stole your account.

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
This fits right in the way this forums been going lately. The lack of preparation of some tegu owners is absolutely hard to understand.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Re: RE: American Alligator

laurarfl said:

Laura part of that is kind of true as far as the growth.the ones I saw that were rescued were those that had stunted growth from being kept in small enclosures and improper feeding etc. Their bodies were all wide and flat kind of. Like someone took something heavy and put it on them for years. They resembled coffee tables with legs. I was almost brought to tears. Seriously people up here need to realize that unless they can make a zoo-like habitat on some land (climate controlled for harsh winters) they have no business getting an alligator. And I see them for sale for like 40 bucks! What is up with that??? Ban pythons but let the alligators be distributed to people who cannot possibly care for them! Ugh crazy world.

chitodadon

1,000+ Post Club
Re: RE: American Alligator

BatGirl1 said:
laurarfl said:

Laura part of that is kind of true as far as the growth.the ones I saw that were rescued were those that had stunted growth from being kept in small enclosures and improper feeding etc. Their bodies were all wide and flat kind of. Like someone took something heavy and put it on them for years. They resembled coffee tables with legs. I was almost brought to tears. Seriously people up here need to realize that unless they can make a zoo-like habitat on some land (climate controlled for harsh winters) they have no business getting an alligator. And I see them for sale for like 40 bucks! What is up with that??? Ban pythons but let the alligators be distributed to people who cannot possibly care for them! Ugh crazy world.

Thats true this guy I knew had two but he took good care or them, mad them their own pool and area ij hos back yard amd his whole basement was for them theu were huge

from Samsung Galaxy S3

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
On a serious note, my family and I own a female American alligator on our property. She lives in a closed of area, about 1.2 acres in total size. In her space she has quite a large body of water. I have yet to post pics of her, hopefully those will come soon - once shes come out of her hole. I plan to go up there when it warms up a little more. Weve had her for a little over 12 years.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
I think they are such amazing creatures. I respect that they are wild yet have always wanted to have one and be able to feed and care for it, even if I couldn't cuddle with it. Haha. However I know that I wouldn't have the means to properly care for one, so I got niles (my tegu) because he is something 'close ' to what I love about the alligators and crocs, yet also has such a wonderful personality and much less likely to look at me as a meal :) <3

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
So TeguBuzz, do you think the 20 gallon will be ok? You seem to have some first hand experience.

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
james.w said:
So TeguBuzz, do you think the 20 gallon will be ok? You seem to have some first hand experience.

James, the 20 gallon should work for a while. I'd try to push for a 30 gallon though, gives them a little more space at adulthood, I believe your completely set. Remember to feed it cold cuts from the deli as the primary staple.

I love this thread man.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced