• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

am thinking of getting a savanna.

Dirtydmc

I need a link to a good site for do's and dont's. And any useful and helpful info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Murkve

While I don't have a Sav myself, from my research with Tegus I can definitely recommend the monitor forums on HerpCenter. Just do a google search and you'll find the forums quick enough. There are so many knowledgable, professional people on there. It's a fantastic resource.

Do be aware, however, that they are definitely not afraid to speak up when something seems off. This is a good thing.

Robthewhitedevil

I’ve had my baby sav for a little over two months, and I love him to death. His intelligence and problems solving abilities amaze me almost every day.
Just some basic but VITAL tips if you’re going to get one. A varied diet is very important with these guys, they’re primarily insectivores, you’ll have people tell you full spectrum lighting isn’t necessary DONT LISTEN TO THEM, it is. Obesity is almost anepidemic with savannah monitors in the pet trade, sav’s need exercise and it’s veeeerrryyy important not to over feed them. I strive to keep mines humidity levels over 50% at a minimum. It is also important to handle them DAILY, and interact with them, and find new ways to stimulate their mind. If you have ANY questions feel free to hit me up! :)

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Robthewhitedevil said:
I’ve had my baby sav for a little over two months, and I love him to death. His intelligence and problems solving abilities amaze me almost every day.
Just some basic but VITAL tips if you’re going to get one. A varied diet is very important with these guys, they’re primarily insectivores, you’ll have people tell you full spectrum lighting isn’t necessary DONT LISTEN TO THEM, it is. Obesity is almost anepidemic with savannah monitors in the pet trade, sav’s need exercise and it’s veeeerrryyy important not to over feed them. I strive to keep mines humidity levels over 50% at a minimum. It is also important to handle them DAILY, and interact with them, and find new ways to stimulate their mind. If you have ANY questions feel free to hit me up! :)

What is the varied diet you feed yours? Why is full spectrum lighting necessary? Why is it important to handle them daily?

Dirtydmc

I understand the lighting. They are from africa from what I understand. UVB is important. But I also saw that they are a desert dweller, requiring less humidity and higher heat.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
They do not require less humidity, uvb is not necessary. High basking temps are necessary as well as deep burrowable substrate that will hold humidity.

Dirtydmc

What if i just build an underground hide instead of having deep substrate? Dexter doesnt dig in his and its deep enough to burrow. He likes his litter box hide.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
As long as it is humid in the hide and he will use it then ot should be ok. Monitors like to be active, only give him one place to "burrow" and not deep substrate to dig and make his own could cause problems.

Murkve

james.w said:
They do not require less humidity, uvb is not necessary. High basking temps are necessary as well as deep burrowable substrate that will hold humidity.

This is one of the primary reasons proper care of Savannah Monitors is so difficult. When the animal is an adult, the basking site needs to be very high heat, in the 130? F to 140? F range. This, by itself, is often difficult to achieve. Throw in the high humidity that is required, and the keeper must balance what are often two contrary properties: The higher wattage bulb many use to achieve the basking temp will wick away the moisture inside the enclosure, leaving drier conditions. For this reason, constant misting and/or a large amount of trial and error with many bulbs is necessary.

Having said that, it is nice that Savannah Monitors receive all of their Calcium and D3 from what should be a diet of whole prey items, making UVB unnecessary.

Thelegendofcharlie

5 Year Member
It should be noted by the "Savannah experts" that need for UVB is debatable (for a Savannah). There there are those that advocate it as being unnecessary, and some that list compelling reasons why it is necessary.
Please research both viewpoints before taking anyones word as golden.
As for humidity, moistened sphagnum moss mixed in the substrate and lined inside the hide/burrow will help keep the humidity up where it is most needed. If you do this make sure any moss in the hide is moistened and not saturated so as not to encourage fungal infection.
Note: This is where a hygrometer with a probe comes in handy.

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
Murkve said:
james.w said:

This is one of the primary reasons proper care of Savannah Monitors is so difficult. When the animal is an adult, the basking site needs to be very high heat, in the 130? F to 140? F range. This, by itself, is often difficult to achieve. Throw in the high humidity that is required, and the keeper must balance what are often two contrary properties: The higher wattage bulb many use to achieve the basking temp will wick away the moisture inside the enclosure, leaving drier conditions. For this reason, constant misting and/or a large amount of trial and error with many bulbs is necessary.

Having said that, it is nice that Savannah Monitors receive all of their Calcium and D3 from what should be a diet of whole prey items, making UVB unnecessary.

It is not as difficult if you are using a substrate that will hold humidity. If you are not, it is almost impossible.

Robthewhitedevil

130 degree basking temp is ridiculous as well as unnecessary, flesh starts to break down at that temperature. I aim for 115.

And if there’s even the slightest chance at all that they need uvb why would you deprive them of it. It’s our responsibility as owners to try a mimic their natural environment to the best of our ability.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
They have been recorded basking at temps of 155 in the wild. Do a bit more research before you start giving advice. Check out savannahmonitor.org

So savannahmonitor.org is no longer maintained.

Here are a couple links
http://www.reptileforums.net/forums/showthread.php?81420-Savannah-Bosc-Monitor-care-sheet....
http://www.proexotics.com/care_savannah.html

As far as mimicking their natural environment, what do you use for substrate and how much? What do you feed your Sav?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980