• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Albino Breeding

Dinkel

Hey guys im breeding normal B&W Tegus for a couple years now.
I actually want to start breeding albinos. What is the best way to breed those? Im not that much into genetics and morphs.
So which ones should i breed to have the highest chance of ablinos.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
you will need to find some albinos or at least some het albinos
unless you wanna do a lot of guessing and random matching

LizardStudent

You should get some that are het for albino. If you get some that are possibly het for albino (sometimes advertised as 66% het for albino) then it's a gamble and it may not be at all, and you'll have wasted a while lot of time and money. So make sure you get one that's 100% het for albino.
Should be something like if you breed het for albino x het for albino, you'll get 25% offspring albino, 50% het for albino, and 25% normal, or no albino traits at all.
If you breed albino x het for albino, should be 50% of the offspring are albino and the other 50% are het for albino
If you breed albino x albino, you'll likely get unhealthy animals.

So if you're looking to get albinos without breaking the bank, I would recommend buying some hets to start

LizardStudent

Breeding an albino to a 100% het albino would give you the most albino offspring, but breeding 100% het to 100% het will certainly give you albino offspring without the high pricetag of buying an albino outright. It just depends how much money you are looking to spend, what you're trying to get out, etc.

Éva's Tegus

Good Luck! I am pairing my albino female to my het male this season! So excited!

Any breeding tips that you have after breeding your black and whites these past few years?

IG:teguzilla

So breeding100% het with 100% het is the best way?
Visual Albino to a 100% Het albino is what I did and I produced over 70% visual albino babies in my clutch. Just luck of the draw since theoretically it should be 50% visual albinos.

My instagram is TeguZilla if you like to see.

Roadkill

5 Year Member
It's a tad more complicated than what many seem to understand. Don't get me wrong, I'm not exactly saying everyone is wrong here. First, we need to realize there can be more than one gene that results in albinism. While the odds are pretty good that breeding albino to albino, or het to het are going to result in phenotypic albinos, there's a chance that you are breeding different genetic albinos and this may not result in phenotypic albinos, especially if you're breeding het to het. For the better likelihood of producing albinos, it's recommended to breed relatives, then the odds they are sharing the same gene for albinism is greater.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced