1. Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email josh@tegutalk.com!
    Dismiss Notice

Advice

Discussion in 'Tegu Taming and Handling Discussion' started by Griffin, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Griffin

Griffin New Member

Hello, I will be receiving a 3 week old argentine red tegu this coming tuesday. Shluld I try handling within a couple days, or wait a couple weeks. Do you have any special techniques?
  2. EnjoysWine

EnjoysWine Member

Check out past threads for handling and taming techniques - there is a section on the main page for taming discussion.

The tegu may hide for a while at the beginning to get used to her new surroundings. After a few days at most, I would handle her using gentle and non-aggressive movements and touch. You can also speak to her before touching to get her used to your presence.
  3. Griffin

Griffin New Member

Hey, thanks for the reply! She is a very curious little booger and already has started crawling on my hand by her own, I have sat by her cage daily for 2-3 hours doing Uni homework and speaking to her everytime. I’ve been tong feeding crickets, spotted roaches, grapes, ground turkey and she loves it. I haven’t fully taken her out of the enclosure yet as I don’t want to break the trust I have already created. But each day she ventures onto my hand and up my arm little by little before she turns around. She also runs off her basking spot when I come down in the morning as she knows its food time.
  4. EnjoysWine

EnjoysWine Member

Sounds like you're making good progress!