1. Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email josh@tegutalk.com!
    Dismiss Notice

Advice

Discussion in 'Tegu Taming and Handling Discussion' started by Griffin, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Griffin

Griffin Member

Hello, I will be receiving a 3 week old argentine red tegu this coming tuesday. Shluld I try handling within a couple days, or wait a couple weeks. Do you have any special techniques?
  2. EnjoysWine

EnjoysWine Member

Check out past threads for handling and taming techniques - there is a section on the main page for taming discussion.

The tegu may hide for a while at the beginning to get used to her new surroundings. After a few days at most, I would handle her using gentle and non-aggressive movements and touch. You can also speak to her before touching to get her used to your presence.
  3. Griffin

Griffin Member

Hey, thanks for the reply! She is a very curious little booger and already has started crawling on my hand by her own, I have sat by her cage daily for 2-3 hours doing Uni homework and speaking to her everytime. I’ve been tong feeding crickets, spotted roaches, grapes, ground turkey and she loves it. I haven’t fully taken her out of the enclosure yet as I don’t want to break the trust I have already created. But each day she ventures onto my hand and up my arm little by little before she turns around. She also runs off her basking spot when I come down in the morning as she knows its food time.
  4. EnjoysWine

EnjoysWine Member

Sounds like you're making good progress!
  5. James Smith

James Smith Member

Hello guys, I am a fairly new member and I am glad to be here. I am learning a lot when I thought all the countless hours spent researching, being absolutely wrong of course, was enough.

I am so excited to own a beautiful 4 month old blue Tegu, purchased from Hector Habitats. My buddy, BOGA, is still hiding a lot. Let me explain what I think is alot. BOGA daily routine goes something like this: 4:30 to 5 am he comes out and sets on his non basking rock. The night light system is still on at this time. I would manually turn the enclosure day system on. At this time he would go and bask for a while. If it is feeding day he would immediately scratch on the window to come out if he seen me, if not he would search for a way to escape his enclosure. The only difference from the non feeding day and not is; he would eat first before he search for his escape route. Once he figures he can not escape he would go hide for a few hours and he may or may not come back out for the day. When he goes and hide, it would be about 9 or 10 o'clock with some instances 1 to 2 o'clock. I talk to him constantly and I have had gentle reaction with him as well. Bath time went great, but I am still concerned with the still stand off personality he has after 3 1/2 weeks with me. I am trying to give BOGA his space and learn what he wants from me. Should I be concerned or is this about normal.

If this is normal that is fine, if not I would like to be set straight.

Lastly, are there any Michigan Tegu owners out there?
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  6. Griffin

Griffin Member

Sounds like he’s preparing for the Winter and how often are you feeding him you said
    you have a non days and from what I’ve read and gathered through research if he’s only 4 months feed him everyday until he’s full. Thats what i’ve done, they’ll let you know when they’re finished and full. One more thing you’ve only had him 3.5 weeks.... they live for 20 years you’re rushing things and not being patient don’t just rush into handling it and bothering it. A lot of people wait at minimum a month for the tegu to handled , I got lucky and mine has a very calmed demeaner. And yeah again it’s a lizard it’s not going to come looking for you and “smiling” like a puppy so a stand-off attitude isn’t weird. Right now you could be bothering and annoying the piss out of it and thats why its stand-off ish with you, now everytime BOGA sees you he thinks “Oh **** not this annoying person again” .... food for thought ;)
    AlphaAlpha likes this.
  7. James Smith

James Smith Member

I really think you are right Griffin. I will continue to do what I am doing. I will keep talking to him so he can at least get use to my voice. I held him a count of 3 times since I had him and 2 of the times I just had to. Going backwards... I held him during his bath time, once to move him away and then once because he crossed over my hand and I gently picked him up.

Being a father to four beautiful children I remember the times of our first born. We would always wonder if our child is progressing properly or not. The only way is to compare our time line with our child to the other children his age. We quickly understood that all children progress at their own pace, you can't rush their growth, however lizard aren't children either. Lol
  8. James Smith

James Smith Member

Oh I forgot. I started out offering him food every day until he started to eat more than a nibble. After a few days of eating and he started to eat more I cut back to feeding him every other day. Here in the last two feedings he really was hungry. Yesterday especially. He ate almost all his food.

Thank you for your advice it is welcomed good food for thought. I will go back to everyday feedings.
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  9. Walter1

Walter1 Moderator Staff Member 1,000+ Post Club

At some point, a full stomach will mean a day or two of not eating, then poop, then hungry again.
    AlphaAlpha likes this.
  10. James Smith

James Smith Member

Wash....rinse....repeat.....lol.