• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Advice needed, always burrowed never eats

Olivia749

My blue tegu is less than 6 months old and we think he’s brumating. When we first got him he came out ever day and spent a few hours with us a day always eating a lot. That lasted about a month before he slowly started eating less and skipping multiple days. He would stay burrowed except for about an hour each morning. And now he hasn’t come out for a few days and hasn’t eaten in about a week. Any advice or is this completely normal

Will0ii

Vet checkup wouldnt hurt , i know thats a default for most problems, if its not warm enough or humidity is off or there is a blockage etc. These things would cause the behavior you're describing also.

JoeDirt

My blue tegu is less than 6 months old and we think he’s brumating. When we first got him he came out ever day and spent a few hours with us a day always eating a lot. That lasted about a month before he slowly started eating less and skipping multiple days. He would stay burrowed except for about an hour each morning. And now he hasn’t come out for a few days and hasn’t eaten in about a week. Any advice or is this completely normal
Its normal. My black and white has built himself a nice little den and hasn't came out in about a month. Depending on your humidity and temperature and his mood it can last a few months

Rperdue

Hey Olivia I am going through the exact same thing with a black and white the same age as yours. What I found is that they are a bit to young to brumate but they don’t know that. I’m trying to coax mine back out. He is up to spending a few hours out everyday now and that’s up from not seeing him for 3-4 days at a time. My advice is keep an eye on his tail make sure it’s not getting to small and as long as he comes out occasionally to bask he should be fine. Make sure you keep fresh water and his hot spot on most of the day. Couple decent videos on brumating professor herp actually made a good video on it. I think it was better than the rose city vid. I wouldn’t feed him much at all until he starts spending more time out

Mike B

Brumation. Will probably come out here and there.

Ms Marty

Sounds like Brumation to me as well. Rose City did do a great Info Video on Brumation, as well as many other Tegu owners on UTube. I am in the group of people that believe Brumation is very Healthy for all Reptiles where this is a naturally occurring behavior. I like to soak my reptiles in water at least once a month in order to avoid dehydration. Usually doesn’t even disturb them. There is a lot of controversy on whether or not to continue with UVB/Heat Lights, Day/Night Cycles..... so far (last 5 years) I’ve just kept everyone on their fall/winter cycles when they do go down. My 1yr old BW Tegu still active, no signs of Brumation, my Savannah stays down for a few days then up wanting food and soak time. My 6 yr old Beardie already went down for 2 months, up last 3 weeks and just yesterday burrowed again. Last year she went down for 5.5 months... causes me high anxiety.. normal for her.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced