• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

"A Life of Pain, for Someone's Gain"

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yes it is, a life of pain for someone's gain, and I think it is very sleazy at best. To sell animals that are handicaps to collect extra cash is just about as low as it gets.

Albino tortoises, albino turtles, two headed lizards and snakes, albino tegus, albino iguanas, bearded dragons bred to have no scales (Silk-Backs), and deformed turtles that genetically bred to have no eyes. All of these are being sold a special, when in fact they are deformed and handicapped. There are many more, but this is a good start to the list.

In my opinion it takes a real scumbag to make excuses why it is fine to produce these animals, knowing they cannot live a normal happy life. And no, there is no other way to look at it. If this were a human with the same defects, what would we call it? Where are the morals in this hobby, or has it all turned into the dollars for a quick rip for a handicap? What is wrong with selling normal healthy herps? Is it that they are not worth as much? If that is the case, then the ones selling these animals are not in this hobby for the love of the animals; they are here for the money and to pad their pockets.

Just something to think about, is it really fair to these animals?

playlboi

5 Year Member
that pretty much sums it up bob.

although i do own an albino blue tegu, it is the purpose of just providing it with the life it deserves. its hard to do, given the way they are produced to be vulnerable to the things they need naturally. it's pretty sad. that is the truth of the game for these people. they don't care for these animals as they are intentionally breeding them knowing the ill-effects nature will have on them.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
playlboi said:
that pretty much sums it up bob.

although i do own an albino blue tegu, it is the purpose of just providing it with the life it deserves. its hard to do, given the way they are produced to be vulnerable to the things they need naturally. it's pretty sad. that is the truth of the game for these people. they don't care for these animals as they are intentionally breeding them knowing the ill-effects nature will have on them.

Thanks Bro, and I know you are taking great care of yours. :)

As for the breeders, they are all about the money, I really doubt they care at all about the animals. The sad part of it all, the animals are the ones to suffer.

nat

5 Year Member
I agree, I just don't know WHO in their right mind would think that an albino tortoise, native to the sub sahara dessert would be a good idea to market... and I can't believe there are people out there willing to pay such an extravagent price for them either. (my concern extends to all animals you mention but the albino sulcatas are the ones I first became aware of and have been grappaling with for awhile)

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I too agree. This was just listed on KS today and look at the asking price!? <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=31&de=572194">http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=31&de=572194</a><!-- m --> The poor thing will probably die within the first year anyway. The "morphs" that are being produced these days are just absurd.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Here is another!!!!! :bang

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=8&de=570737">http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=8&de=570737</a><!-- m -->

Tux

5 Year Member
I know you and I talked about this Bobby and I agree 100%. Some ppl have no ethics, no morals they just want to "scam" someone out of the money in their pocket, it's sickening.

I wish their was something more we could do.

COWHER

5 Year Member
there is something we can do!! don't buy these things!!! good buy market good buy cash. then good bye :cen holes We cannot support these types of animal breeders if we don't like what they are doing

snakehandler

5 Year Member
As long as there is money to be made only laws can change this.
But there are no laws regarding reptiles for this matter.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
snakehandler said:
As long as there is money to be made only laws can change this.
But there are no laws regarding reptiles for this matter.

That is correct, but we can help, by not buying these animals. If there is no market, then there will be no reason to produce them.

hoosier

5 Year Member
if i had a lizard hatchout with two heads i would keep it myself so i know it would have the best life possible. it is irresponsible to sell it! it could go to someone who dosnt know a thing about them ad then the animal dies within a week. thats a horrible thing to do for a quick buck. poor animals... :ikiyo :bisl

CaseyUndead

5 Year Member
I agree for the most part. I mean, like with Igs and stuff when albinism would make it harder to do something they need to do: bask. Stuff like albino snakes in captivity, though, doesn't seem to be that bad. I don't think being albino or any fancy morph gives captive snakes a lesser quality of life(in the wild they'd get eaten.. but in captivity it's the same as a normal one).

But i don't think anyone can actually produce two-headed animals on purpose. I think those are just random oddities.. twins not splitting all the way... there's not really a genetic thing for that that could be passed on, as far as i know.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I have seen a 2 headed cornsnake before, but luckily, it was in the care of a really great zoo, and had a very luxurious life. I believe it might have actually been my local San Diego zoo.

rebeccaej

5 Year Member
I agree with you about the tegus, lizards, tortoises, etc. that need to bask and are not able to safely do so without melanin in their skin, and about two headed animals (though these cannot be bred, they are theoretically twins that are conjoined).

Snakes on the other hand, are a bit different. They don't bask. I myself am very interested in snake morphs, and even own a few. They are perfectly healthy, beautiful animals. I never use UV with my snakes, or light at all, for that matter, so they are able to live exactly the same as my other snakes.

Genetic mutations brings up the point of evolution, too. Genetic mutations exist as an attempt to better the species and create more hardy animals. While some morphs may be worse of in the wild (again, I'm talking about snakes here), they may be more adapted for life in captivity because of human demand.

Not trying to disagree with you, because your point on other reptiles is very valid, but with snakes, it is a little different of a story.

KoreanDeathKid

5 Year Member
i have always hated seeing deformed animals, but being sold for money is way too cruel, i have seen 2 tailed leopard gecko up for sale for 600 dollars, 2 headed burmese python which was way too small for it's age and sex (back in korea), 2 headed turtles, etc
sometimes i wonder if us, humans are any better than any other kinds of animals in this cruel world

CoexistExotics

5 Year Member
I totally agree. I have a human friend who is albino, and he is not allowed out in the sun... I honestly have no idea how reptiles could live if they are albino and NEED UVB rays which is what causes pain in albino skin. It's really terrible. I really think this issue does need to be addressed more often... and people should really stop buying them!

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
I know this isn't going to be a popular post. But these Albino animals can be taken care of with out UVB. I myself am an Albino Freak. But only with snakes. But If I had an Albino lizard or turlte. I would keep it supplimented and I think the animal would have a pretty decent life. Albinism is a naturally occurring morph. Why not save these special animals from certain death. Give the Hobby something besides imports which are killing reptile populations all over the world. I do think the outrageous prices are a little much. But I think most all prices are way too high on most reptiles.
I'm not looking for an arguement but Just had to mention this.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602