• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

A few questions......

Jexnell

So my plans so far are to build an 4ftx4ftx8ft house for my new buddy.
Will be built from framing lumber and plywood, seams sealed with silicone the entire of the interior coated with pond liner paint to waterproof.
A 4ftx3ft sliding window for access

I was going to use the 4ft T5lights for UV
Now should I have two 4ft light to span the 8ft or just one on the center?

So we need to keep the inside @80°
Maybe someone who has built one before would know how many/wattage of ceramic heat lamps I need? I was going to run them thru an Inkbird temp controller.

Thanks for any help

Zyn

Cool side is fine in the 70s. His basking light should be in the 115s and that’s surface temp not ambient. I’d say you’re fine with only having uv on the side he spends of his time basking on.

Jexnell

A different route...

Say one gets an 8 to 10 inch Argentine Black and White Tegu hatchling mid to late July, possibly early August. Would a 40breeder tank be sufficient size of housing him till he comes up from his first brumation?
If I get him in July that's only three months before he would go into brumation. Will he outgrow it in that time?
If he won't outgrow the 40b that would give me plenty on time to build his forever home of an 4x4x8 plywood enclosure.

Jexnell

So I talked to the breeder today and he said a 40b would do fine for the first year, also to he said to not let him brumate the first year. First I have heard of this, that a normal thing?

Zyn

If he wants to brumate let him as long as he’s got something to burry himself in and a good amount of body weight. If he doesn’t he doesn’t. My sev went into brumation and he still had a green back lol and was fine came out early and grew like a weed.

Tizzay89

Soooo a small tank would be fine yeah. Only need to manage hot cold side.. but.... would u wanna live in a studio apt? I built a 3x3x5 for my lil tegu maybe 12 inchs nose to tip.. add stuff on the reg to improve on the jungle theme.. keep it on its toes. Tegus like to explore anyways so might as well go all out asap.

Just dont add a bunch of moss one day.. my tegu really didnt like this for some reason.. think it was the smell and it being all over.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam