• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

A Couple Questions

rebeccaej

5 Year Member
I've had my tegu for a little over two weeks now, and she is fantastic! I joined here right away when I got her, but alas, final exams kept me away from the internet, but now I am back and have a few questions!

First, and probably most importantly, I am worried about my tegu's defecation, or lack thereof. She urinates daily, as I have been soaking her in an inch or two of water every day or two, but she doesn't ever poop (the reason I soak her each day). In the two weeks I've had her, she has only pooped once. She is eating fine (and getting more voraciously excited about her food every day) and is very active. Her basking spots are good, and I cannot feel an impaction in her abdomen. Should I worry, or should I just let her be and assume that she will go to the bathroom when she is ready? How long is too long?

Secondly, and much less importantly, is there any downside to feeding in a separate container with a lid? I know it is best to feed in a separate container, but if there is ventilation (air holes drilled in lid) is it ok to put the lid on while she eats? I have been giving her a little bit of baby food mixed in her meat because she wont eat fruits yet, but she shakes her head like crazy as if she is killing the turkey or fish or whatever else she is eating. This causes baby food to be all over the room, today I cleaned it off of four walls and the ceiling. Is there any drawback to feeding with a lid to prevent further events like this?

Thanks for your help, all!

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Your tegu should have defecated by now, if it is eating good. As for the lid, as long as it is a clear tub, so that light can enter I see no reason why you could not use a lid.

Also, welcome to the TeguTalk community. :)

COWHER

5 Year Member
just a little side point my tegu has started hiding his poo like he buries it and it drys out before i ever find it. I just make sure to clean the enclosure at least every month...

Joey

5 Year Member
When you give it a bath make sure the water is warm. They like to defecate in warm water. If still its not working then I would say wait a little bit what goes in must come out eventually but if you see her eating patterns have slowed down while waiting then you will probably need to go to the local pet shop and see if they have anything for that because if he/she doesn't defecate then they will stop eating.

rebeccaej

5 Year Member
Thanks for the help!

I just gave her a little time and now she is defecating fairly regularly as well as eating a lot more!

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
COWHER said:
just a little side point my tegu has started hiding his poo like he buries it and it drys out before i ever find it. I just make sure to clean the enclosure at least every month...
My guy is doing that too! I first I was spot cleaning everyday and then all the sudden I thought he stops going so I was worried. Here the lil bugger buries it! Talk about the "Leave no trace" mentality.

Joey

5 Year Member
lol

lol Yah everytime I see mine poop I Take it out right away for some reason when he dose poop after he just goes crazy and tries to escape lmao mabey the smell is to much for him cuz god knows it is for me lmao

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam