• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

3am pest.

rosieuk

Hi,

I've a 4 year old male Tegu who's quite friendly but seems to have been on Argentine time until recently.
For those who don't know we had horribly hot weather for a while down here recently - and temperatures in the flat got above 32c even after midnight. So, I regularly gave Priscus a bath which he seemed to appreciate - snoozing happily until he wanted to climb out, using me as a climbing frame.
Before all this he seemed odd in that he'd seem to be in hibernation mode in summer and be much more active in winter - he'd plod out to bask about 11am, bask for a while, wander around for a bit then curl up and snooze. He seemed much less lively in the summer but if I took him outside on the rare days he'd pop up he'd be happy as Larry.
I hadn't realised but he had a shed that hadn't really happened - and the baths really freed it off. So I helped him shed (I do this for all my animals) - it was a bit like peeling a 5kg wriggly banana with claws and he seems much happier and more active.
But here's the weird thing. For the last 2 weeks he's been waking up at 3-4am, completely alert, toddling round the flat examining everything like he did as a baby - for about 2 hours - toddling off to either bit of the lino in the flat, peeing (which he has never done before, and was never trained to), toddling back and going back to sleep. He's much more affectionate than before - tolerates being picked up better, will use me as a nice warm basking spot (underneath me with his back feet on my hands and head by my knees (think a warm human cave, also think dead legs) and just generally seems like a different animal. I thought the timing might be to do with mating season - but then why's he so friendly?
He's always taken food by hand but has never been this friendly before and I haven't done anything other than help him shed - and before when I did this it didn't have this effect (nor was it immediate).
He's currently ~42" and 10lb 2oz in weight.. His heaviest being 10lb 8oz (when he was more greedy about 4 months ago)
Anyone have any ideas?

I'm more than happy that he's more active & affectionate but I have sleep problems at the best of times and it's getting tiring - walking around after him at 4am in case he tries to get somewhere he shouldn't (have you ever seen a Tegu lift half a double bed with his head? I have). It's almost like someone has nicked my Tegu and replaced him with a different animal - the change was that fast.

Last edited:

rosieuk

The mystery is solved I think.

Toothache.

For the last couple of days he's been trying to take food then backing off which he never does. He's also been wandering about during the night..

As you can see from the pic he bit my leg this morning - no huffing, tail lashing - just bit me out of the blue - but when he'd finished using my leg as a chew toy there was something hanging off his lower jaw - which turned out to be a fang - from the upper jaw (about a half centimetre).

I suspect he was in pain and the wombling about for a while in the night was enough to take his mind off it so he could go back to sleep.

Attachments

• IMG_20180831_125052.jpg
    IMG_20180831_125052.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 67

rosieuk

Yeah, he was latched on and pulling like a puppy with a rope toy, claws rooted to the carpet - not much fun but he's so strong. I can see why people are scared of the wild ones - they can move fast and easily do a *lot* of damage if they want to.
But the oddest part of it, he's caught me 3 times in 4 years and every time he goes completely back to normal afterwards - like it never happened. No huffing, no aggression - just a completely normal reptile.

rosieuk

Well it's 4:30am and he's wandering around the place searching for something and looking accusingly at me when he can't find it. He's not wanting food, it's not a bath, he's climbing his heater like he tried as a baby (I gently dissuade him).
I've always wondered if he was on Argentine time somehow and I'm wondering now if he's looking for a female (September would be the right month there) - which is a problem because I don't have one - nor do I know anyone who has - and any female in the UK is not going to want to mate - and I've now got a very healthy respect for Tegu teeth.
Im completely confused and very tired. New ppl are moving in downstairs & painting/banging about - is it possible thats set him off?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602