• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Worried about Tegu's health

EmilzHerp

UPDATE: She has gained the weight back. She needed a serious change in diet, but now she is plump. However, it's been getting much colder, so she comes out less to bask. I hope she isn't starting brumation, because then she may not be a blue. According to the seller, she is a definite blue, so I assume that this is normal, and that instead of brumating she slows down. Am I right to believe this?

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
UPDATE: She has gained the weight back. She needed a serious change in diet, but now she is plump. However, it's been getting much colder, so she comes out less to bask. I hope she isn't starting brumation, because then she may not be a blue. According to the seller, she is a definite blue, so I assume that this is normal, and that instead of brumating she slows down. Am I right to believe this?
Tegus of all stripes brumate to one extent or another. This is normal. "Blue" seems to be a selectively-bred look that may or may not be selected for in nature as either a morph (within a population) or a regionally-distinct form.

EmilzHerp

Tegus of all stripes brumate to one extent or another. This is normal. "Blue" seems to be a selectively-bred look that may or may not be selected for in nature as either a morph (within a population) or a regionally-distinct form.
Alright, thanks so much. Should I still feed her and keep her light on, or feed her one more time then let her rest for a few months?

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Alright, thanks so much. Should I still feed her and keep her light on, or feed her one more time then let her rest for a few months?
Keep feeding. Stop when/if she stops. Lights at 12 hrs on/12 hrs off. If she gets to a point where she isn't coming out of her hide anymore, then cool to 58-68F. dark cloth over hide entrance for darkness. Bowl of water in case, and a basking light on for a few hours each day at far end. At some unknown pint, she'll break from her brumation relatively fast, and you'll see her spending more and more time out basking again. Might be two months or five months.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam