• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Won't eat, help

Jade Conley

I have a tegu that is about five - sixish months old. I have had him for about three weeks and has shown no interest in his food. I haved tried eggs, pinky mice, and turkey gizzard and hearts. I am starting to get worried because it has not eaten at all since I have gotten him. Help please.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I have a tegu that is about five - sixish months old. I have had him for about three weeks and has shown no interest in his food. I haved tried eggs, pinky mice, and turkey gizzard and hearts. I am starting to get worried because it has not eaten at all since I have gotten him. Help please.
OK- First, welcome. Perhaps this site can be of help. Please post a photo of your tegu so we can see how he/she looks. Where did it come from? what state fo you live in? what are the basking, ambient, and hide box temps? this time of year, some species of tegus, such as the Argentine Black and White, brumate/sliw down for the winter. Also, a new one is often out of sorts for a week or two and will hide a lot until it feels comfortable in its new place.

beantickler

Where do you live? What is the outside temps? What temps in his enclosure? How big is the enclosure? Can we see pix of the tegu and his setup? How are you trying to feed it?

Jade Conley

I got my Argentine red form underground reptiles and I live in iowa. The basking spot is around 100 and the hiding spots are about 80 degrees Fahrenheit. It is in a 40 gallon breaded. I started feeding by putting it in a dish then started use teasers.

20161203_131307.jpg

Attachments

• 20161207_183017.jpg
    20161207_183017.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 25

beantickler

OK how long do you leave the food in for? He may just want some privacy. Glass cages are for fish. I learned that fast... Every time you go to feed or pick that guy up he thinks your gonna eat him... Tegus get scared when you come down over top of them. I would get a small flat plate and try some raw ground turkey. Ask UGR what they were feeding him. Leave that plate out on the cool side for 8 hours every day. Replace new every morning and replace fresh water right beside his food.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Good for start. Will QUICKLY outgrow. Bask spot should be about 10 F warmer, opposite for hide box at other end. Ambient temp should grade in between. Always shallow wayer pan as source of drinking water and added humidity.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced