• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Urgent Poop Issue

RaptorDude

So my Argentine tegu Moxxi has a general routine going. She comes out around 3-4 am (so early, it drives me crazy!), I take her out and into the bathroom so she can poop, and then let her go back into my room where I feed her. She's generally good to roam in my room for a while and bask (made her a little out-of-cage spot) at that point and later goes to sleep in her enclosure pretty early - between 10 to noon.

Lately she's been pooping at least once more in between there. No biggie, just a little annoying when I'm trying to get extra hours of sleep in. But she just did that, then went a little more outside the bathroom door. And then while in my room, I noticed her trying again and she had a large brown sac hanging from between her legs as she rubbed her bottom all over the place! This freaked me out and while I was cleaning up after her, it seemed to disappear and she went back to normal.

So now I'm worried, of course.

She's a year old next month in June. I currently feed her a wean sized mouse almost every day with extras to finish her hunger, such as Zoo Med canned tegu food, chicken or turkey, blueberries, scrambled eggs and such, with a bit of variety each day. She had just eaten a mouse maybe four hours prior to this, so maybe it wasn't fully digested?

Of course I get worried about her maybe being impacted, but she only ate in her cage maybe 2-3 times back when she was 3-4 months old, and a small handful of times recently but always by hand and on top of a covering over the substrate.

I planned on taking her for her first checkup at the year old mark, so I'll probably get on that soon. But still, ugh, it's always something new to worry about with her!

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
So my Argentine tegu Moxxi has a general routine going. She comes out around 3-4 am (so early, it drives me crazy!), I take her out and into the bathroom so she can poop, and then let her go back into my room where I feed her. She's generally good to roam in my room for a while and bask (made her a little out-of-cage spot) at that point and later goes to sleep in her enclosure pretty early - between 10 to noon.

Lately she's been pooping at least once more in between there. No biggie, just a little annoying when I'm trying to get extra hours of sleep in. But she just did that, then went a little more outside the bathroom door. And then while in my room, I noticed her trying again and she had a large brown sac hanging from between her legs as she rubbed her bottom all over the place! This freaked me out and while I was cleaning up after her, it seemed to disappear and she went back to normal.

So now I'm worried, of course.

She's a year old next month in June. I currently feed her a wean sized mouse almost every day with extras to finish her hunger, such as Zoo Med canned tegu food, chicken or turkey, blueberries, scrambled eggs and such, with a bit of variety each day. She had just eaten a mouse maybe four hours prior to this, so maybe it wasn't fully digested?

Of course I get worried about her maybe being impacted, but she only ate in her cage maybe 2-3 times back when she was 3-4 months old, and a small handful of times recently but always by hand and on top of a covering over the substrate.

I planned on taking her for her first checkup at the year old mark, so I'll probably get on that soon. But still, ugh, it's always something new to worry about with her!
Could that've been cloacal prolapse you saw??

RaptorDude

The more I thought about it, the more I think that's what it was. It's as if she was trying to push out the mouse that wasn't fully digested alongside normal feces. But why? She's been eating them for weeks with no issues. Could wean size really be too much for her? Maybe I should go back down a size to the hoppers. Of all the research and planning and preparing I've done over the years, this isn't something that's ever come up, so it's really unnerving.

RaptorDude

The next morning, she seems perfectly normal. She didn't poop, but peed, though. I withheld giving her a mouse today and she seemed completely okay. I'm not sure if I should be worried or not...

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
A vet check always good. In the mean time, small meals. Add mineral oil. After poop, repeat.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980