• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Underground Reptiles Size Recommendations

feraljaw

Hello everyone.

I have a very simple question here to ask. Let me preface by saying I have been researching blue tegus, however my biggest issue so far is the enclosure size. I lack extra space, so I may have to be forced to put off buying a tegu until my housing situation changes.. I was initially under the impression a 6 x 3 x 3 is the bare min. for a blue tegu, and an 8 x 4 x 4 being the ideal. However, Underground reptiles, to my surprise, recommends a 3 x 2 x 2 as the min. for an adult blue tegu, then 4 x 4 x 4 for a pair.

"A single adult can be housed in a 3’ x 2’ x 2’ enclosure and pairs in 4’ x 4’ x 4’ cage. putting them in a larger enclosure is always a great idea but we would not recommend anything smaller."

http://undergroundreptiles.com/misc-files/TeguCareSheet.pdf

So my question is, can a blue tegu do fine in a 3 x 2 x 2 enclosure? I really do not intend to keep the animal in the enclosure for the vast majority of the time, regardless of enclosure size (even if it was in an 8 x 4 x 4 - I would still give outdoors time. We are in FL, thus the weather is perfect here for outdoor enrichment.) But I was unsure if 3 x 2 x 2 would suffice, and if anyone has successfully kept adults in this size enclosure before.

Thank you.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hello everyone.

I have a very simple question here to ask. Let me preface by saying I have been researching blue tegus, however my biggest issue so far is the enclosure size. I lack extra space, so I may have to be forced to put off buying a tegu until my housing situation changes.. I was initially under the impression a 6 x 3 x 3 is the bare min. for a blue tegu, and an 8 x 4 x 4 being the ideal. However, Underground reptiles, to my surprise, recommends a 3 x 2 x 2 as the min. for an adult blue tegu, then 4 x 4 x 4 for a pair.

"A single adult can be housed in a 3’ x 2’ x 2’ enclosure and pairs in 4’ x 4’ x 4’ cage. putting them in a larger enclosure is always a great idea but we would not recommend anything smaller."

http://undergroundreptiles.com/misc-files/TeguCareSheet.pdf

So my question is, can a blue tegu do fine in a 3 x 2 x 2 enclosure? I really do not intend to keep the animal in the enclosure for the vast majority of the time, regardless of enclosure size (even if it was in an 8 x 4 x 4 - I would still give outdoors time. We are in FL, thus the weather is perfect here for outdoor enrichment.) But I was unsure if 3 x 2 x 2 would suffice, and if anyone has successfully kept adults in this size enclosure before.

Thank you.
3x2x2' is you living in a phone booth.

True blues are smaller than typical Argies, around 3'. Stick with the 8x4x4'. You'll have a happier tegu.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980