• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu Taming working!

DougY

Brian Gundy rocks!
I have a fairly new Argentine B&W, 24" long, and have had him for about a week.
Frustration was not the least of my feelings after getting him home, and, after a few days of adjustment to his new home. Every time I picked him up, I thought I was handling a small tornado with claws! It was horrible, especially the thought of him in a year or two, being a foot or two bigger!
After Googling for awhile, I came across a Video by a fellow named Brian Gundy. What a lifesaver!
His advice.....handle your Tegu every day, for hours, talk to him/her, consistently.
The first time I did it, he struggled as usual for a few minutes, then relaxed a bit. After 30 minutes of holding him and stroking his head and back, he laid his head on my chest, his eyes closed and he fell fast asleep. It brought back memories of my kids when they were babies (except they didn't scratch me with talon like claws).
I'm doing this every day, several times/day, and I'm sure its going to work.
A month from now, I expect him to go outside and bring me my newspaper.....well, maybe not.
But I do believe that he'll be a new Tegu in no time.

DougY

What did you do when he struggled?

I just held him against me, as gently as possible until he settled down......a minute or two. I keep stroking him on the head and back, and talking to him. He calms down fairly quickly, and then I just support him while I continue to stroke him. 5-10 minutes and he closes his eyes and falls asleep. Each day, 2-3 X day, hes a bit more passive each time I do it. It'll take time, but hes getting used to it.

Brian Gundy rocks!
After Googling for awhile, I came across a Video by a fellow named Brian Gundy. What a lifesaver!
His advice.....handle your Tegu every day, for hours, talk to him/her, consistently.

Wow how funny to see Brian Gundy mentioned here.
I'm not sure what area you're in, but I live Northern California and he's probably 20 minutes away from me in Campbell, I actually went to high school with his daughter.
I've gotten to meet him twice now, and his tegu, Buzz, is the sweetest and most tame tegu I've ever seen. Keep in mind he deals mostly with only snakes, but does have his tegu as well as a blue tongued skink. But he got Buzz as an adult already, and I'm not sure what he was like when Brian got him, but he's definitely a calm and relaxed lizard now and deals with strangers on a daily basis. I'd trust his advice, but also remember that he never did raise Buzz from a hatchling/yearling tegu. Only as an adult. But still, a great guy, with an awesome Gu!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced