• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu Food List

Meg90

5 Year Member
I fed avocado to one of my torts once, as a treat. It looked like I almost killed him. I'd stay farrrrr far away from it. I do (now)

TanMan57

5 Year Member
Yay im so excited to give my gu's the best tomorrow. I bought them sime steak for soups just big enough and some chicken liver. I hope they like it

Dvdh1

5 Year Member
TanMan57 said:
Yay im so excited to give my gu's the best tomorrow. I bought them sime steak for soups just big enough and some chicken liver. I hope they like it

I take better care of Bumblebee than I do myself. My kids hardly eat anything. Frozen processed chicken nuggets anyone? Lol!

ReptileFinatic

5 Year Member
I was just wondering if I can give pumpkin to tegus. Pumpkin is a type of squash and you can give it to beardies, my beardie loves it, just curious.

-Brandon

ashesc212

5 Year Member
ReptileFinatic said:
I was just wondering if I can give pumpkin to tegus. Pumpkin is a type of squash and you can give it to beardies, my beardie loves it, just curious.

-Brandon

You definitely can to a certain extent. My vet uses plain pumpkin pie filling to help with impactions. Lucky used to a few times when fur clogged him up.

Nice list, Puff. I might disagree with the tomatoes though. I read somewhere in my research that tomatoes are toxic to reptiles.

ashesc212

5 Year Member
Also, many plants like hisbiscus and dahlia that are mentioned in the list have been known to be toxic to animals like dogs, cats, and horses...

Reptile are different but they still may be toxic, right?

Marlene

5 Year Member
I have an all natural fruit juice with no preservatives or chemicals in it (I read the label carefully!) it has Acai, Acerola (cherry), Aronia (Black Choke Berries, I think?), Cranberry, Passion fruit, Prunes (plums), Wolfberry, Pomegranate, Lychee, Camu Camu and Bilberry in it. It has some other fruits in it, but they're all on the "fine to eat" list, so I didn't mention them. Are any of those fruits fine for tegus to consume? They would only get this juice as a treat. My B&W likes to drink its fruit rather than eat it. It just kept licking the apple pieces and never tried eating it, lol.

Curtis T

Hello Everybody,
As of yet I do not have any Tegus yet. I am doing my research on them so I can have all my ducks in a row so to speak. I have kept many reptiles Snakes, Corns, King, Milks, Boas and Pythons. Lizards Bearded Dragons,Veilds, Panthers and Geckos. And I have breed most of these plus birds and fish. I always do research befor I get another pet. As I was reading the list of food I seen Hissor roachs I have read on other sites it's not good to feed adults because of their shell being so hard. I am breeding Dubia roaches to feed to my Beard Dragons ect because their is a problem with the crickes dying off I bought 1000 3 week old and by the 4th week they were all dead. So I set up a Dubia roache colony and also starting to produce Superworms and thinking about doing meakworms and waxworm. I do like to feed diffrent things to my animals ( I would not like to eat the same thing all the time.) I can also get chicken and quial eggs as I have freinds who breed and show them. So what about the adult hissors shells? Thanks Curtis

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
i have never tried roaches, but i would imagine that the shell shouldnt be a problem since the wild tegus tend to eat a lot of land snails and i would believe their shells are much more harder than say a dubia's! but i would be more careful when dealing with the hatchlings(which i believe you are reffering to) just make sure the roaches arent larger than the tegus head and you shouldnt have a problem!

G

one side note about bananas,most of the bananas grown and shipped to the us are contaminated with the pesticides used to keep the bugs off of them.the reason being is that a bag on the bottom of the banana stalk soaks up every kind of moisture and chemical used on the banana and over time the peel absorbs those chemicals.

murilstone

Just for convenience i took all the foods on the list and the fish info and made it into a PDF...[attachment=2212]

Attachments

• Tegu Food List.pdf
    132.4 KB · Views: 262

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
murilstone said:
Just for convenience i took all the foods on the list and the fish info and made it into a PDF...

people around here are just awesome.........

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980