• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu breeding in California

HowardB

I live just south of L.A. I ran into a guy at the NARBC show in Pasadena last week who was selling CBB Argentine reds and B&Ws. He told me that he now lives in a humid area of Texas, and has no problem breeding tegus. After breeding success in Texas, he moved to California and was unable to breed them successfully. Now, back in Texas, he has success again. He attributes this to the dry California climate, and pointed out that Argentine B&Ws breed like crazy "in the wild" in Florida (and that there are a number of successful breeders in Florida). Anyone else familiar with tegu breeding problems outdoors in dry climates? There must be successful breeders in California, Nevada, etc., aren't there? (I was wondering if a misting system might help). Thanks!

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I live just south of L.A. I ran into a guy at the NARBC show in Pasadena last week who was selling CBB Argentine reds and B&Ws. He told me that he now lives in a humid area of Texas, and has no problem breeding tegus. After breeding success in Texas, he moved to California and was unable to breed them successfully. Now, back in Texas, he has success again. He attributes this to the dry California climate, and pointed out that Argentine B&Ws breed like crazy "in the wild" in Florida (and that there are a number of successful breeders in Florida). Anyone else familiar with tegu breeding problems outdoors in dry climates? There must be successful breeders in California, Nevada, etc., aren't there? (I was wondering if a misting system might help). Thanks!
That's an important concern. They are adapted to a hot wet summer and a cool/damn cold winter when they sleep.
I wonder, emphasize wonder, if in Los Angeles, they were not getting hot enough long enough along with being too dry.

HowardB

Interesting thought; hadn't considered that. My understanding is that they breed shortly after coming out of their winter slumber (I guess "hibernation" is a technically incorrect term), when it isn't extremely hot. However, that doesn't mean that they're not "preconditioned" properly in our temperate climate. Not much I can do about the heat in large outdoor cages, but I can increase the humidity with a misting system. Thanks for the reply!

IG:teguzilla

Interesting thought; hadn't considered that. My understanding is that they breed shortly after coming out of their winter slumber (I guess "hibernation" is a technically incorrect term), when it isn't extremely hot. However, that doesn't mean that they're not "preconditioned" properly in our temperate climate. Not much I can do about the heat in large outdoor cages, but I can increase the humidity with a misting system. Thanks for the reply!
i know this is an old post but Yes there are quite a few tegu breeders in California... in fact I think CA is 2nd to FL in terms as the number of tegu breeders within the state. Just gotta hose down the enclosures a little more often on the west coast.

Look up 626 Exotics on Instagram, he has bred tegus successfully in California.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam