• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu and sav enclosures

Savannah or tegu

• Savannah monitor

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Rhysandfish

folderview
Ive been looking at argentine tegus and savannah monitors recently and ive seen these pen like enclosures and im just wondering if they are completely wrong or if they are okay. I also wanted to say hello to all the tegutalk users because i am new to this forum :) *Im still researching and i will not do anything to harm my future animal*

beardeddragon111

Could you post the image again? it won't work for me.

if "pen" means mostly screen this will not work for savannah monitors because they require a rediculous amount of soil in their enclosure (2 foot) which I don't think a screen cage would hold. For a tegu a mostly screen cage would be feasible because they don't require as much soil so you could have a solid bottom to hold the substrate. For both it wouild be difficult because of issues with humidity.

But then again I haven't actually seen the cage and am just making assumptions. if you could post a picture I could give a lot more help.

Rhysandfish

Could you post the image again? it won't work for me.

if "pen" means mostly screen this will not work for savannah monitors because they require a rediculous amount of soil in their enclosure (2 foot) which I don't think a screen cage would hold. For a tegu a mostly screen cage would be feasible because they don't require as much soil so you could have a solid bottom to hold the substrate. For both it wouild be difficult because of issues with humidity.

But then again I haven't actually seen the cage and am just making assumptions. if you could post a picture I could give a lot more help.

The enclosures do not include substrate but ive been viewing them and wondering if they were too much for the savs.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-03-30-09-38-35-1.png
    Screenshot_2017-03-30-09-38-35-1.png
    904.8 KB · Views: 24

beardeddragon111

Yeah I don't think that enclosure is going to be very good for a savannah because substrate is essential to their health. The lizard in that photo graph does not look very healthy. Substrate is also important for tegus (though not as so as savannahs) so this would probably not be the best choice for th em either. For a savannah your going to have to build a cage yourself or have it custom made. For a tegu I've heard of people buying larger cages off animal plastics, boamaster, and even boaphile. In the end your best off building your own cage with whichever animal you decide to get.

Rhysandfish

Yeah I don't think that enclosure is going to be very good for a savannah because substrate is essential to their health. The lizard in that photo graph does not look very healthy. Substrate is also important for tegus (though not as so as savannahs) so this would probably not be the best choice for th em either. For a savannah your going to have to build a cage yourself or have it custom made. For a tegu I've heard of people buying larger cages off animal plastics, boamaster, and even boaphile. In the end your best off building your own cage with whichever animal you decide to get.

Thats cool no problem there :) just wanted to see if those types of enclosures are healthy. Thanks beardeddragon111

nepoez

5 Year Member
Hi guys!

I had both Savs and Tegus in the past. I find that Savs are so much harder to keep healthy compared to tegus. I was probably just doing something wrong. Basically I have over 1 foot of soil/sand substrate for both my tegu and sav cages. The sav would burrow when it was younger.. But once it reached 3 feet long it stopped burrowing, does not even try to so even if I had 2 feet of substrate it wouldn't make a difference. Maybe my soil is wrong. Anyways, he became less active since he stopped burrowing, probably because a non burrowing sav is an unhealthy sav as burrowing is essential to savs.

Tegus on the other hand seem to burrow in any type of substrate so they keep their good health easier and I was able to keep tegus very active and healthy.

I've given up on savs since then. I follows all the experts who are able to keep savs very lean and healthy and active, their directions on soil, heat, humidity, etc... But the sav just won't burrow. And again, if a sav doesn't burrow, it will become unhealthy.

beardeddragon111

Hi guys!

I had both Savs and Tegus in the past. I find that Savs are so much harder to keep healthy compared to tegus. I was probably just doing something wrong. Basically I have over 1 foot of soil/sand substrate for both my tegu and sav cages. The sav would burrow when it was younger.. But once it reached 3 feet long it stopped burrowing, does not even try to so even if I had 2 feet of substrate it wouldn't make a difference. Maybe my soil is wrong. Anyways, he became less active since he stopped burrowing, probably because a non burrowing sav is an unhealthy sav as burrowing is essential to savs.

Tegus on the other hand seem to burrow in any type of substrate so they keep their good health easier and I was able to keep tegus very active and healthy.

I've given up on savs since then. I follows all the experts who are able to keep savs very lean and healthy and active, their directions on soil, heat, humidity, etc... But the sav just won't burrow. And again, if a sav doesn't burrow, it will become unhealthy.

I know some people would dig a burrow for there savannahs, because in the wild they often use abandoned burrows to hide in instead of digging their own.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced