• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Solar Glo VS PowerSun

RobK.

As soon as i put a Zoo-Med Power sun 100 watt over his basking spot in place of the 125 watt Exo Terra SolarGlo , he went from going to sleep at 1-3 pm every day , to staying up all day until the lights go out . He starting doing the very next day after i switched bulbs . A+ for the ZooMed PowerSun . BUT it better be good ,it was almost twice the price .

teguboy77

5 Year Member
I wonder what the powersun did to change the your rhino's basking schedule.:-/

It would be cool if you had a solarmeter to see if there is a uvb output difference,and maybe thats why hes basking longer.:idea:

RobK.

teguboy77 said:
I wonder what the powersun did to change the your rhino's basking schedule.:-/

It would be cool if you had a solarmeter to see if there is a uvb output difference,and maybe thats why hes basking longer.:idea:

Not sure ?
He is eating more too . I though he WAS eating good but holly smokes he never stops now . The best reptile vet in the state ( Utah ) recommends the Power-sun over anything being sold in stores . I wish i had a Solar-meter , but just can't make myself drop the $$$ on one . I think the PowerSun puts out a little more micro-watts of UVB at the 12'' that he's at , then the SolaGlow . Maybe that was just enough . ???? The Zoo-med is 120 Micro watts of UVB at 12'' The exo-terra is 100 MW . from what i remember seeing on the Bigappleherp.com site . I bought A MegaRay But it would not turn on , so i sent it back and got a refund . I have the worst luck with on line sales , so i would would rather keep buying local so i can return then . I have had 4 bulbs go bad since i got my Rhino and Petsmart exchanged them on the spot , they have a 60 days guarantee .

http://wasatchexotic.com/

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Weird lol I'm thinking of trying out a power sun once my solar glos need to be changed. It's more expensive but if it somehow makes them more healthy I'm all for it!

herpgirl2510

Are you guys buying them online? There is only a few dollars difference between the two. Thde 160 watt power sun is $44 on amazon with free shipping.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Well i mean if thats what they state about the bulbs as far as micro watts that solar glo puts out 100 mw from the, 125w of UVB and powersun puts out 120 Micro watts, 100w of UVB,thats what they say i still would like to see a solarmeter to see if solar glo put out good UVB,powersun i think puts out the micro watts they claim,i 've used them before and they were ok,but i'm going to buy a solarmeter today and then i'll know what the solar glo uvb puts out micro watts,but i also use a 10.0 36'' reptisun linear fluorescent with my solar glo,i guess in a couple days when my solarmeter Model 6.2 UV Meter gets here i'll find out what micro watts my 160 watt solar glo is putting out.:)

No i dont buy mine online i get my solar glo 160watt UVB,5 minutes from my house at petsmart and there 39.99,but i'm going to wait and see cause i just ordered a solarmeter and i wanna see what uvb micro watts it puts out.:)

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I quit posting this because I felt like the doomsayer, but a few SolarGlo's were turned over by ExoTerra for independent testing to the folks at uvguide.uk. They were found to have a low UVB output. A lot of bulbs changed to a new manufacturing process, including MegaRay. I imagine it was a cheaper process, but there was a problem with the frosting on the glass or thin glass, I can't remember. MegaRay pulled theirs off the shelf which is why there is a backorder, but none of the others issued a recall. The PowerSuns went through this years ago, but resolved the issue and have a good bulb now. I posted the direct quote and info on another thread, but I don't recall which one.

The low UVB output may not affect a reptile like a tegu which probably has a low UVB requirement, given the diet and environment. However, herbivorous lizards are much more UVB dependent. Glad he's better.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Well again i guess we'll see,my rhino seems to be doing fine,and my tegus i used solar glo with did fine,but i wanna see for myself.I mean used mega ray,powersun,solar glo, and i just want to see what these solar glo uvb bulbs are puttung out as far as micro watts.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You know the old saying about shooting the messenger ;) It could be a matter of individual bulbs, who knows. I'd be interested in what your solarmeter says. What kind di you get? I'd really like a 6.2, but I'm cash short right now. I'm so jealous of guys with your rhinos and new toys.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
I got the Solarmeter Model 6.2 UV Meter,i been wanting to buy one for years and never did but i thought with all the good money spent on uvb bulbs its worth it,plus i'm going to do a little test myself once i get it on my uvb bulbs,solar glo 160 watt,mega ray 160 watt,reptisun 10.0.,to see if they put out what they say as far as uvb goes.I tried contacting Exo Terra Solar Glo about there bulbs putting out low uvb and they never got back to me so who knows if there bulbs put out what they say,ill soon find out lol.But i also run a 10.0 bulb with my 160 watt solar glo.I really like my russets male rhino.

Yup thats were i ordered mine from today,they are 159+8.49 shipping =168 total.I been wanting to get one for a while just was to cheap lol.

TheTeguGurl

So 2 mos ago I buy my first solar glo 160wtt for my males enclosure.. it seemed nice and then 2 mos later it burned out! then the other soloar glo bulb I have for my other take being only 4 mos old is acting up... they are cheap.. i will go back to using the Power Sun.. You get what you pay for !

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Well i've been lucky with mine,but think i will be going back to mega ray soon,the only reason why i started using solar glo was because back around december mega ray was on back order so i got a solar glo,but sorry to hear your bad luck with them:-/

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I've used the 160W SolarGlo on my Tegu since I got him and haven't had any problems. I had a PowerSun on my Rhino and I recently replaced it with a SolarGlo.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Yeah i have no problem with mine at all,and soon i'll see what micro wattsd they put out just have to wait for my solarmeter i ordered to get here lol.I still think mega ray are the best thats just my opinion.As long as your reptiles getting the rite amout of UVB i guess thats what counts.:)

RobK.

teguboy77 said:
Yeah i have no problem with mine at all,and soon i'll see what micro wattsd they put out just have to wait for my solarmeter i ordered to get here lol.I still think mega ray are the best thats just my opinion.As long as your reptiles getting the rite amout of UVB i guess thats what counts.:)

I think you right about the mega ray , i just have the worst luck with bulbs and don't want to deal with shipping them back if they don't work or stop working . Read nothing but good reports ,but mine was bad when it came . I drove truck for 25 years so i know how warehouse guys treat stuff .

What solar meter did you order ?

herpgirl2510 said:
Are you guys buying them online? There is only a few dollars difference between the two. Thde 160 watt power sun is $44 on amazon with free shipping.

No , i got the power sun from Petmart here in town for 74.00 with tax . I could buy one in Salt Lake for around 50.oo but its a 1 1/2 drive and at fuel cost , now way . I just don't like buying bulbs on line , i have the worst luck with them . I have taken 4 back to petsmart , they have a 30 day guarantee and had to send the mega-ray back i got . It did not work . :s:mad:

teguboy77

5 Year Member
I ordered the Solarmeter Model 6.2 UV Meter off amazon,and i bought a mega ray 160 watt bulb too lol,so my solarmeter will be here monday and once my mega ray 160 watt comes i'll test both mega ray and solar glo 160 watt and see what they read at the same distance and will post it on here.But as long as your uvb bulb is putting out between 50-250 uW/cm2 mimics the natural environment enough to keep your UV-dependent BASKING reptiles healthy and this i read off mega ray site.So even if solar glo is putting at least 5o micr watts of uvb i guess your ok we'll see soon.:)

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Well darn,i go down to feed my russets rhino and my 2 month old solar glo 160 watt blew wtf.I guess its a good thing i have a month old reptisun 10.0 also in his cage,and i just ordered a mega ray lastnight good thing lol.Plus i have 125 watt solar glo as a back up always good to have back up UVB bulbs.No more solar glo's for me though i'll stick with reptisun and mega ray this is just my opinion.:-/

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Y'know, I was thinking about this thread and my post a bit more. I wanted to clarify that I am not slamming the companies having issues. On the contrary, I think it shows a lot of integrity for ExoTerra and MegaRay to voluntary contact the testers for stats on their product. They had tried a new bulb manufacturer that just didn't work out. I'm sure it's a huge ordeal to sort out thousands of bulbs that didn't turn out as expected.

I've had my PowerSuns blow out after a couple months, but they were replaceable under warranty. I don't know if ExoTerra has a warranty.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam