• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Savannah Monitor has suddenly stopped eating and is super skinny

I have had my Sav for about 2 years now and just now she has stopped eating. She is also very skinny.
Her temps are 110 basking 90 everywhere else.
Her diet is Mostly Turkey and the occasional mouse.
Humidity is 40.
4x4x4 cage(Not a real big Sav about 1 1/2 feet long).
Cypress mulch substrate.
Please help.

KritterKeeper

Well her setup and diet are not good at all so that is probably what the problem is. She didnt become skinny overnight so her issues have been going on for a while and im sure thats the reason that shes small. Her basking temp is way too low(should be closer to 130) and turkey is not an adequate diet for a sav (I dont think you should feed that at all). You should be feeding lots of bugs and whole prey items. These things need fixed asap or things will not end well for her...
Heres a link for more info http://savannahmonitor.net/ - please do alot more research and work on getting her setup and diet issues fixed.
This is a list i copied from that site - "A proper Savannah Monitor diet would consist of Roaches, Crickets, Night Crawlers (Large earth worms) Mice, Rats, Snails, Garden slugs, Superworms and Locusts (where available) and certified chemical free organic whole Shrimp, Crabs, Crayfish & Chicks."

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
Temps, humidity, aubstrate and diet all need to be corrected asap. At 2 yrs old and those conditions I would already suspect low level long term dehydration with possible gout.

Wayne's site ^ posted above, is a good read. be sure to click on the highlighted words and side links to get the full scope on things.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced