• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Rhino iguana/tegu owners and bite experiences

Sal

Hi guys. I'm a first time poster and new on this forum. I'm having a difficult time deciding between a rhino iguana or a chacoan white head tegu. So, I'm trying to get info from people with real hands on experience. If you would be so kind, please describe experiences/dangers of these two awesome creatures in regards to bites. Any advice or knowledge to avoid these situations or just personal experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Please feel free to give your thoughts that you think would help me. I've read and watched YouTube vids for hours and hours. Looking for real life experience on what I'm getting myself into.

Thank you for the help!

viejo

5 Year Member
No responses which is most likely a positive thing. I was only nipped once by my 4.5' ♂ Chacoan & it was only an exploratory nip on the butt (I was wearing jeans). We were lying on the bed & he was snuggled behind me. I like to think that he was only reminding me that he was there or perhaps he was merely checking out a rivet. Most of the serious bites that I am aware of were done by monitors that panicked and were defensive in nature.

thatoneguy

Well I have a Tegu who is only around 6 months and a Rock Iguana probably around 2 years old. I have not been bit by either, but I have been scratched pretty bad by the Iguana.

I would say from my limitied knowledge and experience, the Tegu is going to be much more tame and docile then the Iguana, but if you raise them right and work with them, both would make very good pets. Working with large reptiles I would say scratches come with the territory.

loweryrr

I have not been bitten by my tegu yet. She has never tried. Bites from tegus are a rare thing once they are adults. I doubt you could tell a difference between the two as far as pain from a bite. Cant really go wrong with a tegu

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I've seen defensive behavior in wild argies in Fl, and a bite could result in stitches or lost flesh. Once used to people, which usually happens fast, they just sort of squirm away when they don't want to around when gently held. I don't know rhino iggies well at all, but if their bite is anywhere close to one by a large ticked off male green iggy, the bite's gonna be the same as an argie's + the bi@@ slP with the tail and razor claws.

viejo

5 Year Member
I have been nailed a few times by monitors, mostly Niles & ornates, & blood & pain was involved. Tegus have never been a problem (so far) other than the little nip that I mentioned above which was more humorous than anything. I agree, iguanas tend to be a whole lot more hyper & more than willing to scratch & bite if restrained. Blood & pain here also but less so than with Varanus.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam