• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

rex

Jonn

Hey I got my tegu rex back in march the guy at the pet store told me to just put a heat rock and some bedding in a 20 gallon tank and he would be fine. I know now that is really wrong so I've got him in a 45 gal I think with one side 110 and other to 85-90 and I'm in the middle of making him a new cage. But I think he's really small, he is 12 inches from head to tail and he been sleeping all day for the last week, is everything normal? I appreciate any input and ill try and get some pics on here later tonight

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Welcome to the site :) we would need pics and more info to really be helpful. Starting with answering these questions.
http://www.tegutalk.com/showthread.php?tid=9678

Jonn

What kind of tegu do you have? Black and white Colombian is what I was told
How old is your tegu? Born in march
How large is your tegu? 12 in nose to tail
What is the sex of your tegu? Not positive
How long have you had your tegu? Since April 7th
Does your tegu brumate or hibernate? I think he is hibernating now not positive
Whatnclosure do you have? Pet store guy said 45 gal
What kind of substrate is used?don't know exact name but it was some bark, got it cuz someone on this site recomended it
What kind of UVB do you use (brand and coil vs bulb vs tube)? I think it was a 10w bulb it was only 20 bucks
What is the wattage of your bulb? How old is your bulb? Couple weeks
How far away is the UVB?1 ft.
Do you use a separate bulb for
What is the wattage? Honestly bought a heat light from wal Mart
What are the temps (basking and cool side)? 110 and 85
and What do you use to measure the temps? Lil thermometer
What is your humidity? 60-90
What do you use to measure it? The thermometer I have measures humidity also
What do you feed your tegu? Meal worms mostly pinkies grapes bananas and occasionly he'll eat crickets
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)? Every other day around 7, pm
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? No, didn't know what kind to het
What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them?
Does your tegu have regular BM's? Not positive on that
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done? No
Does your tegu share and enclosure with another tegu? Nope

And it won't let me upload pictures from my phone unfortunately

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Colombians don't get as large as the other tegus, so 12" at six months old isn't that far fetched. Depending on what size it was when you got it. At times they grow fast but it's usually not as big of a difference as the other tegus either.

For the UVB question you just said you have a 10w bulb. That doesn't answer the question, what type of bulb and does it emit both UVA and UVB light? That's important to know because they need UVB lighting, not having any can cause growth and help problems. Never mind re read,.. 10w bulb for 20 bucks doesn't sound like a reptile bulb. Idk,.. maybe it was on sale or something but I've never paid that much for a reptile UVA/B bulb.

Very little to no calcium in their diet will also affect their health and growth.

What are you using to measure temps? A "lil thermometer" doesn't help. If it's one of those plastic, round ones that stick to the side (can't remember the names) they fail more often then not. The same goes for what you're using to measure humidity.

Other than that with the change of the season Colombians don't hibernate but they brumate. Which is just slow down, eat less and sleep more but still pop up every so often. With that and not knowing the answers for basic care questions there's no telling what can be going on with your tegu right now. It can be anything from settling into brumation, actual health and nutrition issues or a combination of both.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam