• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Rescue Savannah Monitor

Eavlynn

Hello, I'm a new member amd believe I may be able to find some great information on this site. I've been in the process of getting this monitor released into my care for a few days and finally got the green light this morning. When I saw this sweet little hatchling in a tiny set up with temps around 80 and no humidity I knew it wouldn't make it long. It's emaciated and dehydrated and is more limp than a well cooked noodle when picked up. I have a simple 20 gallon set up until I know whether or not this little thing will pull through. I'm using a mix of ecoearth and sand which is keeping the humidity within 60 to 80%. The basking platform was at 115F, but is increasing in temp as the material absorbs the heat, it's ceramic so it might take close to an hour. The light on the right is a low wattage bulb to keep things warm on the cool end.

This is the little munchkin. You can see how incredibly thin it (staying away from he or she until i know the gender) is.
a5b9e57b47a835de6a6e18734d1801cc.jpg

While the enclosure was warming up I took it out for some sun and gave it a warm bath for some forced hydration. The water seemed to help perk the little monitor up a bit.
82ae608670cfdbfea6889ce0d9ff23ac.jpg

I tried offering small dubia roaches and a chopped up pinky to no avail. I did get a bit of tongue flicking which makes me hopeful.
97700f00c3813eb0144f4b084c0f9a3d.jpg

My sweet little monitor decided to crawl under his basking area for a nap. After a while I may try offering food again.
f3a87e92fccbaee62e8db500c929341c.jpg

If it still refuses food tomorrow I'll syringe feed with some reptiboost to get some nutrients in it. This is the temporary humble abode:
7dc51c6069e11b38a7e43c9160ae44ee.jpg

This is my first monitor rescue. If anyone has more experience and would like to offer advice or suggestions I will take them seriously and they would be greatly appreciated. I want to see this sweet baby recover, thrice, and live a long happy life.

Thank you for reading!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hello, I'm a new member amd believe I may be able to find some great information on this site. I've been in the process of getting this monitor released into my care for a few days and finally got the green light this morning. When I saw this sweet little hatchling in a tiny set up with temps around 80 and no humidity I knew it wouldn't make it long. It's emaciated and dehydrated and is more limp than a well cooked noodle when picked up. I have a simple 20 gallon set up until I know whether or not this little thing will pull through. I'm using a mix of ecoearth and sand which is keeping the humidity within 60 to 80%. The basking platform was at 115F, but is increasing in temp as the material absorbs the heat, it's ceramic so it might take close to an hour. The light on the right is a low wattage bulb to keep things warm on the cool end.

This is the little munchkin. You can see how incredibly thin it (staying away from he or she until i know the gender) is.
a5b9e57b47a835de6a6e18734d1801cc.jpg

While the enclosure was warming up I took it out for some sun and gave it a warm bath for some forced hydration. The water seemed to help perk the little monitor up a bit.
82ae608670cfdbfea6889ce0d9ff23ac.jpg

I tried offering small dubia roaches and a chopped up pinky to no avail. I did get a bit of tongue flicking which makes me hopeful.
97700f00c3813eb0144f4b084c0f9a3d.jpg

My sweet little monitor decided to crawl under his basking area for a nap. After a while I may try offering food again.
f3a87e92fccbaee62e8db500c929341c.jpg

If it still refuses food tomorrow I'll syringe feed with some reptiboost to get some nutrients in it. This is the temporary humble abode:
7dc51c6069e11b38a7e43c9160ae44ee.jpg

This is my first monitor rescue. If anyone has more experience and would like to offer advice or suggestions I will take them seriously and they would be greatly appreciated. I want to see this sweet baby recover, thrice, and live a long happy life.

Thank you for reading!

Rescue can be a gamble. Hopefully he'll get strong enough in a day or so to eat. Try raw egg. Also, a vet visit. Good luck. Keep posted.

Eavlynn

I know the odds are about 50% on this little monitor, but I'm staying hopeful. The vet I like to see is 2 hours away, but well worth it. I'll be contacting them shortly. I'll give raw egg a shot, thank you!

Eavlynn

The little monitor passed away last night. His fight is over. I knew the odds weren't good, and I did everything in my power to help him, but the damage done was too severe for such a small baby to come back from.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The little monitor passed away last night. His fight is over. I knew the odds weren't good, and I did everything in my power to help him, but the damage done was too severe for such a small baby to come back from.

Eavlynn- I'm very sorry. There should be consolation that he died in care and not neglect.

Eavlynn

Thank you for the kind words Walter. He was only in my care for 4 days and I feel devastated. The umbilical scar still looked fresh. I can't help but feel disgust that money was seen as more important then that precious little creature's life. Nothing has weighed heavier on my heart than the cruelty and neglect he was subjected to.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I hope that you'll consider another lizard that can be nurtured and loved. You'll both be the better for it.

Eavlynn

I hope that you'll consider another lizard that can be nurtured and loved. You'll both be the better for it.
I have 2 bearded dragons that are much loved, one of them also a rescue who has made great strides forward. I strive to give them as much love and happiness as they have given me. I would consider another lizard, though likely not a monitor unless I was 110% prepared and far more educated.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced