• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Red Tegus loses pattern?

nepoez

5 Year Member
Red Tegus are nice when babies. But all the old ones I see on the web seem to lose their patterns and just become all red and smeared. Black n white don't lose their patterns even when full grown.

Do all reds lose their patterns? Why? Anyone know?

Tegu_torch

I'e said the same thing... my tegu is over a year now and still has his patterns and they are really deep colors and lots of contrast... was hoping to find a female like him because I admit I rarely see Reds with deep contrast even after the first year ... I'll post some pics of mine below... its seem his colors actually get deeper with age... I'll post some of his younger pics also... the top pic of him on my chest there was a ton of son he looks a little lighter but his Reds are really deep...

Attachments

• IMG_20171011_133757_628.jpg
    IMG_20171011_133757_628.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_20170825_123652_506.jpg
    IMG_20170825_123652_506.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 83
  • Screenshot_20171208-135446.png
    Screenshot_20171208-135446.png
    3 MB · Views: 80
  • Screenshot_20171208-135507.png
    Screenshot_20171208-135507.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 80

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'e said the same thing... my tegu is over a year now and still has his patterns and they are really deep colors and lots of contrast... was hoping to find a female like him because I admit I rarely see Reds with deep contrast even after the first year ... I'll post some pics of mine below... its seem his colors actually get deeper with age... I'll post some of his younger pics also... the top pic of him on my chest there was a ton of son he looks a little lighter but his Reds are really deep...
I know very little about reds. Of all that I've seen, though, live and photos, hatchlings are patterned, and adults are not. Maybe not all. I don't know. Is it possible that yours is a hybrid? I ask because it has partly a black and white look to it.

Tegu_torch

I know very little about reds. Of all that I've seen, though, live and photos, hatchlings are patterned, and adults are not. Maybe not all. I don't know. Is it possible that yours is a hybrid? I ask because it has partly a black and white look to it.

I assumed the same his side black bar is really a deep black ... most reds have a red hue in the black side bars but Torches is completely black he almost favors the pink panthers color pattern at times when he is in shed his Reds really lighten up... the guy I had gotten him from didn' really knw much he specialized in snakes he claims he took them off the hands of a friend of his and sold him to me for 200 I got the feeling the clutch was accidental... and i couldnt really tell how amazing his colors would be... neither did they if they did they definitely could have charged way more like in the 500 range... I wish I had bought two...

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I assumed the same his side black bar is really a deep black ... most reds have a red hue in the black side bars but Torches is completely black he almost favors the pink panthers color pattern at times when he is in shed his Reds really lighten up... the guy I had gotten him from didn' really knw much he specialized in snakes he claims he took them off the hands of a friend of his and sold him to me for 200 I got the feeling the clutch was accidental... and i couldnt really tell how amazing his colors would be... neither did they if they did they definitely could have charged way more like in the 500 range... I wish I had bought two...
Yup. a good mix of color and pattern.

Zyn

He's still pretty small I'd give it a while more but I'd look at tegu nations photos his looks like that with high contrast

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced