• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Planning to breed my female

teygu

Hi everyone, I'm new here. This is my girl Tegu (that's her name, creative huh)
U8WXIAo.jpg

Brought home my wonderful girl a few months ago, she's a B&W Argentine and is 4 years old. I got her from a local breeder that I met at the reptile expo that happens near me monthly. Ever since the day I took her home she's been curious and friendly, and is only looking healthier. She's warming up to me very well.

I'm planning on breeding her soon as she is exhibiting a lot of different behaviors (arches her back when I pet her, seems a bit restless & aggressive, dragging her crotch, etc.) The breeder who I bought her from is letting me "borrow" one of his males to mate with her. He told me that she has had a successful clutch previously, so this would not be her first time breeding. I really want to raise Tegu babies, I am so interested in that. But I don't really know what to expect! I'm trying to look up everything I can about breeding. The reptile shop I work at was interested in incubating my eggs and buying half the babies, and I have a lot of space and a lot of tanks laying around, so I'm pretty prepared. I just don't know how to actually properly execute the breeding process to make it easy for Tegu. Her stress is what I'm mainly worried about, and the health of the hatchlings.

So do I introduce the male and just let them mate once then take him out? Or leave him in? And should I put some nesting material in Tegu's cage? She has cypress mulch in there already but it's deep and covers the entire bottom by 7 inches so the eggs might be hard to find. How do I get the eggs out of her nest without losing fingers? How long is the gestation period? How should I help my tegu while she's gravid, and is it ok to handle her / let her roam? Will she get aggressive with me and will this erase our bond that we've developed so far? How much to feed her while gravid? How long does it take for the eggs to hatch??

So naturally, as a first-time tegu breeder, I have a lot of questions to ask. Honestly I kind of feel like I'm going to have babies myself and not my lizard!!

Thanks!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hoeiyehi