• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Picky Eater

Jessica Leon

My black and white tegu will only eat mice and eggs(which I am aware that they should only have as a once in a while food). Is there any tips or tricks to get him to eat more fruits, veggies, turkey ect.?

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Usually tough love works best at the same time teaching them to be more opportunistic and willing to try different foods. Pets are picky with food because they can be since it's readily available which is not the case for wild animals. With holding food reverses that, since a healthy animal will not starve itself. Some people don't like it but not feeding them for a few days, even a week does no harm. Or even offering less food then usual so that they're not full, to keep their appetite stimulated and encourage foraging. Once they learn that food can be scarce they're less picky. They get use to a routine just like we do, so if you offer a certain food that they like regularly they know it's coming and will hold out for it.
Mine have days when they'll pass up whole prey for fruits and meaty mixes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980