• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

PepperJack has arrived!!

JimB

I believe him/her to be between 6 & 8 months old. Purchased from Rodney of TegusOnly.
PepperJack is a tad larger than I was expecting, but a beauty just the same. Just means a larger enclosure will be built sooner than expected too. Right now he'll have to make due with this 4'x2'x2' enclosure. I've since taken out the hide shown and he's barricaded himself under his basking tile. May be awhile before I see him again.

PepperJack2.JPG

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I believe him/her to be between 6 & 8 months old. Purchased from Rodney of TegusOnly.
PepperJack is a tad larger than I was expecting, but a beauty just the same. Just means a larger enclosure will be built sooner than expected too. Right now he'll have to make due with this 4'x2'x2' enclosure. I've since taken out the hide shown and he's barricaded himself under his basking tile. May be awhile before I see him again.

View attachment 11695
Congrats Jim. I like the gold-toned pattern. Bright-eyed and scaley-tailed.

JimB

Day 3 - Woke him up for a photo session and a soaking ... plus the wife hadn't actually seen him in person, just the pictures I took when he arrived.
He's been barricaded ever since, and he didn't waste any time barricading himself back up once I put him back in his enclosure. I won't bother him again, but wanted the wife to see what a beauty he is. (I'll call him a "He" until I know otherwise. LOL).

PJ2_24_17b.JPG

PJ2_24_17d.JPG

JimB

Thanks! I'm trying to get a consensus of whether or not he's actually a Chacoan Tegu due ot his white head. I haven't looked for the V under his chin but will the next time he's out. Just trying to be sure of what I actually have.
Thoughts anyone??
Thanks again!

dpjm

5 Year Member
He is a Salvator merianae, Argentine black and white tegu. That's all you can ever be sure of and all you need to know.

This tegu is a Florida wild-caught individual and looks young, therefore it would have been born in the wild. Tegus have been invasive in Florida for probably 9-10 years. By this time any distinct lines like a Chacoan would be erased by generations of "interbreeding" with non-Chacoan S. merianae.

This is also assuming that there is even really such a thing as a Chacoan tegu. There has been lots of good posts about this in this forum, mostly by Roadkill, so if you are interested you could search for those.

TeguMan

I also purchased my tegu from tegusonly only had him or her a week i took the tegu out couple days ago to let him drink and eat but the tegu did the same thing as yours barricaded under the rock.

Attachments

• Message_1488387786464.jpg
    Message_1488387786464.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14

TeguMan

View attachment 11695
Mine is from tegusonly also. Just got the tegu last Saturday.

Attachments

• Message_1488387786464.jpg
    Message_1488387786464.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9

JimB

He is a Salvator merianae, Argentine black and white tegu. That's all you can ever be sure of and all you need to know.

This tegu is a Florida wild-caught individual and looks young, therefore it would have been born in the wild. Tegus have been invasive in Florida for probably 9-10 years. By this time any distinct lines like a Chacoan would be erased by generations of "interbreeding" with non-Chacoan S. merianae.

This is also assuming that there is even really such a thing as a Chacoan tegu. There has been lots of good posts about this in this forum, mostly by Roadkill, so if you are interested you could search for those.

No need to further investigate, just curious was all. :) I will admit the waiting (for him to emerge from sleeping) is driving me nuts! LOL!

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
No need to further investigate, just curious was all. :) I will admit the waiting (for him to emerge from sleeping) is driving me nuts! LOL!
I sympathize. Mine sleep for about 3.5 months. I miss them when they're sleeping.

TeguMan

Its basically your staring at a empty cage with the lights on. Lol it sucks. To bad there is not a way to stop them from brumation season.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Its basically your staring at a empty cage with the lights on. Lol it sucks. To bad there is not a way to stop them from brumation season.
You can force them with long days but it's unhealthy for them to not rest as they need. Ah well.

TeguMan

When do they usally wake up and be active. I feel like i spent 225 bucks for nothing just stare at a empty tank lmao.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
When do they usally wake up and be active. I feel like i spent 225 bucks for nothing just stare at a empty tank lmao.
Hard to tell. Varies individually. Make sure it always has a basking spot and you can begin providing light for more of the day. South Florida ones are becoming more active now. May delay some if you are up north. I would begin to reach 12 hr days of artificial light by mid-March. All you can do. They come out when they are ready.

TeguMan

I just sprayed water a few mins ago to bring humidity up a little and i lifted his rock up hes still under there. He didnt move but i saw him huff and puff a little.

JimB

I couldn't stand it any longer and lifted the tile PepperJacks been under for a week and a half since getting him. He's doing fine, just in the middle of a major shed. He's going to be gorgeous when he finishes ... I took a couple pictures then put the tile back. I don't think he's in any hurry to come out yet.
But I keep the temps & humidity up just in case. :) The UVB light really screws up photos.
PJ3_4_17a.JPG
PJ3_4_17b.JPG

JimB

Cool side runs around 75, warm side runs around 85-90. Basking runs about 110 which is the tile he's under. Not sure what the temp is under the tile. Substrate is a mix of organic soil, coir, and play sand. I have a small humidifier inside the enclosure which I have to fill once or twice a day depending on if I'm running it at low or high output. Two Bask/head lamps (1 100w MegaRay, 1 100w Powersun because I had it). Normal lighting is 3' Fluorescent bulb. He's initial enclosure is 4'x2'x2' with a larger enclosure to be build this Spring or Summer .. Depending on the weather. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602