• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Oh NO! Xander has a prolapse

TanMan57

5 Year Member
I took xander out to see how his shed went and he deficated all ove my leg and had a prolapse. He started shaking and his back legs stoped working. I am waiting for my ride to get here because there is a massive storm outside

TanMan57

5 Year Member
Well it turns out he broke his spine. were not 100% but he cant feel his back legs or tail. They gave him a shot to see if it was just trauma to reduce the swelling. But it looks grim. I thought it was a prolapse but it turns out its just because he cannot control those muscles. Sadly if hes not moving by friday im going to have to put him down. I feel it is lll reptiles fault. The vet said he could have broken his legs because of improper supplement. I know 100% i was providing proper supplement and proper uvb the entire time ive had him. They make me sick to my stomach, They provide sickly animals and are basically a reptile puppy mill.

Meg90

5 Year Member
holy crap.

Do you have any pictures of him? What could he possibly have done to break his spine? Weren't you holding him? Was he OK before he pooped on you??

Thats terrible.

TanMan57

5 Year Member
I had him in my lap. He turned around and then randomly started shaking and i do not have a pivture. But i feel when he turned around he broke his back. Kind of like a u turn but getting the trailer stuck against a wall. But he basks like that all day long.

TanMan57

5 Year Member
Well i have to see how he goes. If its doesnt get better i will have to put him down. He cant controll boul movements. Wich would cause him to become constipated and prolapse again and again. Enough to where he wont be able to eat and i dont want him to suffer. Also hes in the cage with zero basking but zero is asleep

Meg90

5 Year Member
Can you take some pictures of him?? I want to see what a broken back looks like. So I will know, if it ever happens to one of my animals.

Meg90

5 Year Member
In that video of him you posted 5 days ago, he was walking funny--it looked like his right back leg was paining him.

TanMan57

5 Year Member
Meg90 said:
In that video of him you posted 5 days ago, he was walking funny--it looked like his right back leg was paining him.
Yea he really hasnt been normal for the past week or so. It just took this emergency to wake me up and rralixe there was a major problem

TanMan57

5 Year Member
Here are some pics. Since i got Zero Ive noticed xander doesn't lift his legs very high. Zero lifts his quite a bit. So that's probably a sign he wasn't so good

You can tell in this picture his legs are back and his back is bowed
Picture133.jpg

This is just an above shot of him
Picture134.jpg

I have feeling its broken and not just trauma. Unfortunately...

Meg90

5 Year Member
Was this a herp vet you took him too?

I'm not sure, but I think If he injured his spine, that would mean that something happened to the spinal cord as well, which I would think, would affect much more than just his bowels, legs and tail. The systems are not connectedexactly the same way our are...I think, if he had injured his spine, that there would be a lot more dramatically wrong with him. But again, I am not a vet.

And how did you test to see if he could feel the limbs? Was it a pain test? (pinching his toes, or using a clean needle to poke along the skin--not skewering him, but so that there is an uncomfortable and painful sensation)

There is a big difference to not wanting to USE the muscles, because he is in pain, vrs. not being able to at all.

Where are you located?

I think there is something wrong with his hips/back legs. I think the pain of a break in his pelvis or the surrounding area is what caused him to defecate the way he did. Has his prolapse since, gone back in?

TanMan57

5 Year Member
He cant feel his back legs down. And yes this was a herp vet. He wobles also when he walks its not like he just drags them he limbs and hubbles

Meg90

5 Year Member
did she pain test him? he could have been avoiding walking because it hurt to move. Try pinching one of his toes. If he flinches, or has any reactions at all, he can feel them

Where are you located? I almost want to take him off your hands--did the vet say anything about treatment? Or was he like, if it doesnt get better on its own, put it down?

TanMan57

5 Year Member
He did multiple pain tests. He told me if this shot doesnt make it any better theres no chance he will survive. He has also lost his appitite since it happend he doesnt rat or move very much. And tonight he cant even burrow so hes just sleeping basically where i left him. I feel so bad for him. Theres really nothing i nor anyone can do. If i do keep him he wont be able to pass food and will constantly become constipated and get another prolapse. Im just sad that i cant help him. And believe me if i could help him i would

TanMan57

5 Year Member
Meg90 said:
did she pain test him? he could have been avoiding walking because it hurt to move. Try pinching one of his toes. If he flinches, or has any reactions at all, he can feel them

Where are you located? I almost want to take him off your hands--did the vet say anything about treatment? Or was he like, if it doesnt get better on its own, put it down?
I watched him pain test him for about 5 minutes. Then after the shot 5 more minutes. He was also dripping urine because he cant control his bouls. So thats noy normal if hes just avoiding walking

Meg90

5 Year Member
This makes me so sad. He's such a beautiful baby....That video of him, he just looks so sweet and little.

If the outlook is really that grim, and his pain is that great, I would really say, have him humanely euthanized. Poor little thing. I would email LLL and tell them the whole story too. Post ALL over the internet about it. I would...do a youtube video titled 'LLL--selling sick, underfed reptiles' or something. His life shouldn't have been for nothing.

TanMan57

5 Year Member
Yes you can believe i sent them a long angry email. Hopefull they will have the dignity to write back. Also i will be making a youtube video tomorrow. I truely dispize lll i would love to meet that cruel owner of lll one day. Xander basically died i can see it in his eyes he hates it. It allmost makes me cry when i look at Xander.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602