• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New tegu trying to escape?

mistah_kurtz

5 Year Member
Hey guys, I just got my first Argentine B&W yesterday. He's about 18" long including the tail, about 2 months old, and he's inside a 40 gal (36"x18"x18") tank for the time being. I've attached a pic below. The thing is, hes been spending most of his time since he arrived yesterday AM trying to find a way out of his tank, mostly by going around to every corner and digging down to the glass. I think his habitat should be fairly accomodating and comfortable for him; The temperature gradient in the tank should be fine (105 on his basking rock, 90-95 right next to it, 85 on one side, and around 70-75 on the cooler side), his humidity is fine (70%), he has plenty of water and his own little hide, plus substrate to burrow in... I know its early and he's probably just still adjusting, but I wanted to make sure this isnt too unusual... If its not, when should I expect him to calm down and stop trying to get out? I'm mostly just worried he's gonna rub his nose raw. Thanks.

Drew

2926907445_7dc9e5604b.jpg

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It's common and nothing to worry about. Tegu's are naturally very curious and require alot of space. Think of it like a Grey Hound with no space to run. Being pent up like that would make one want to get out. Up the enclosure size as soon as you can.

mistah_kurtz

5 Year Member
Thanks man, that's what I figured. I took him out for a bit so he could crawl around on my couch; he eventually tucked under a pile of blankets and slept for awhile. He seems alright, no sign of aggression or terror of me. Hopefully he'll calm down a bit more in the coming days. At any rate, I will be sure to let him out every day at least until I can get a bigger cage. Thanks again.

-Drew

jim_m

5 Year Member
Funny you mention the digging. Cholo ( my baby Argentine B&W ) did the same thing. I would have to go back and re-fill all the holes he dug up every night before i went to bed. It last 2-3 weeks then he managed to calm down.

scarecrow

5 Year Member
mine's got out twice now. I'm gunna change his name to Houdini. Thanks for asking the question. Good to know.

damo

5 Year Member
mine is a year old and ive had him just over a week he digs at the glass quite a lot ive been letting him out as much as possible but im trying to get him to fit around me im adjusting his day light hours but any way he came out tonight mouched around for about three parts of an hour and went back home and went to bed quality (Lights had gone off

04112008334.jpg

i will let you know what he is like tomorrow if you like

damo

5 Year Member
i did change his water soon after this photo was taken like i say he likes to dig

Cameron10143

Yeah just got mine a oupem days ago always trying to escape out of somewhere managed to get out once and I fixed the problem just thought I check out what u guys had to say

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam