• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New Tegu Parents

Striker814

Hello! I am very new to this Tegu loving lifestyle and would gladly accept any advice I can get on how to get my 8 year old black and white Tegu to warm up to me. She seems to like everyone but me and I am the one who feeds her! Lol. We just got her from a friend last week and you can tell she was very hungry so I'm trying to get her to like me through food but maybe that's not and good idea? Help please!

Goddesss

Well I'm new here too but since you didn't get a response I'll give you what I've experienced. I got mine about 6 weeks ago and I think pretty stable and true to his character. I left him alone on the advice of a friend for 2 weeks. I fed him and left it at that. I have a bioactive viv so didn't even clean up poops. Just water and food. It was HARD. He actively wanted to come out and you could tell. I still left him alone. I would talk to him and talk when I was in the room with him just so he knew my voice and would put my hand in his viv, but leave him alone. I let him investigate. He rarely ate more than a bite or 2 during that time. When it came time for those 2 weeks he was completely used to me and had no problems on his own coming up to me. It turns out he actually likes eating from utensils and likes being fed. I think that time to get him used to me made him comfortable and naturally inquisitive. He's still very much a toddler and just roams and plays, getting into everything that he can find, including using my body as a jungle gym and has little hissy fits when I take him from something he should not be playing with, or trying to get into something where I know he'll hide, but I have no concerns about him biting or tail whipping, just body wiggling. Give her time and let her adjust on her own and talk to her a lot. My guy loves being talked to. Hopefully more experienced tegu people will offer their bonding expertise.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602