• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New Iguana Owner

alright so i got a very young red iguana as a rescue, not sure of age or gender sadly. i know the housing and feeding and the basics on taming it, any experienced good owners willing to guide a newbie?
20141024_164921.jpg
20141024_164921.jpg
20141026_190244.jpg
20141026_190244.jpg

sage

I've never had an iguana just water dragons but your cage looks awesome for a starter cage, good luck I heard igs are a handful

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hi,

I'm a not so new member but didn't formally introduce myself. I have a pair of Argentines and will be getting a third soon. I have kept green iggies since 1990 and still do. They're not difficult to tame, especially at that size/age. Helps of course if they've not been mistreated. Still, they will tame. Keep the cage in a place so that the iggy can be at eye-level with you. When newly filled, his/her food bowl can be offered right up to it when basking to eat some. This is an animal you WANT to associate you with food. Then you can tuck it under the chin and lightly scratch its neck. Always lift from beneath. It may be big enough that I can sex it with a close-up of its vent, and thighs. Adult males range from docile to dangerous during mating season of winter. I've never had that problem but not sure if that was how the males were or because I've always had harems to take the edge off of them.

Hi,

I'm a not so new member but didn't formally introduce myself. I have a pair of Argentines and will be getting a third soon. I have kept green iggies since 1990 and still do. They're not difficult to tame, especially at that size/age. Helps of course if they've not been mistreated. Still, they will tame. Keep the cage in a place so that the iggy can be at eye-level with you. When newly filled, his/her food bowl can be offered right up to it when basking to eat some. This is an animal you WANT to associate you with food. Then you can tuck it under the chin and lightly scratch its neck. Always lift from beneath. It may be big enough that I can sex it with a close-up of its vent, and thighs. Adult males range from docile to dangerous during mating season of winter. I've never had that problem but not sure if that was how the males were or because I've always had harems to take the edge off of them.
I've taken some nasty hits from them in the past. thanks for those feeding tips!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced