• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Need some help with handling adult Argentine B&W

cooper15

So I rescued my guy as a juvenile and now he's a big ole 18 pound monster. Very tame, never strikes or tail whips inside or outside of the cage, but he's a PAIN when it comes to handling. And it's all the worst because I was hoping to use him in my educational shows. I do the same routine every time, take him out, handle him for a few minutes before he goes in the tub to eat, poop, and bath. I give him anywhere from 20-45 minutes and then I take him out. This is where he gets to be a major jerk. He'll let me handle him just fine for about 5 or so minutes until he starts crawling up my shoulder to slide down my back or trying to get on my head or just throwing his wait to one side to fall to the ground. I try not to restrict him too much but at the same time I don't want to teach him that if he does this he gets me to stop bothering him and let him down for good. Sometimes he'll even roll to try and get out of my grip. I've used him in a few shows so far where he's mostly behaved, I think because he sees all the strangers in the crowd and realizes at least being on me is safer then down there, but I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for getting him to let me hold him longer.

beardeddragon111

It should be a pain to hold a healthy lizard. The ones that lie in peoples laps and fall asleep are cold or lethargic. A healthy lizard will usually want to explore, and an 18 pound tegu will always be difficult. The way I interact with mine is often letting him walk on the floor or couch as I pet him, and sometimes he lets me hold him in my hands for a good 30 minutes or so.

thatoneguy

I compare my Tegu to a cat, when he wants you to pet him and wants to lay in your lap he will. Otherwise he is under his basking light I have setup on a table, burrowing in the pillows or blanket on the couch, or exploring and trying to steal the dogs food.

If you want bonding time, its best to do it when hes going to sleep, and gently lay him on your lap and cover him up, he will probably go to sleep. Don't expect and awake tegu to hang out with you to much.

At least that is my experience

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I hit Like on above post by thatoneguy. Some actually seek your attention. Others like it but I their stricter terms.

zarnach

Sounds perfectly normal to me. Mine is very docile but only wants held momentarily such as when lifted out of the cage or transported a short distance. Any other time he wants to left to his own to explore, sun, find a place to poo...etc. When outside he will often "check in" by approaching me and hang under my feet, and every so often relentlessly try to climb up on my leg. I think he wants to rest on my lap, but no, he looks around for one minute then tries to climb back down. It takes a lot of work to restrain him for things like toenail clipping. I usually cover his head with a towel to help contain, confuse, or delay his escape.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980