• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

My Tegu is Very Wild

Hkelsey78

I just purchased a young red tegu from someone. They had 4 others. He was bought at the Sacramento Reptile expo. They were selling him and a large b&w argentine female. I already have a b&w male but I absolutely love the reds so I went for it. So far he darts as quick as he can from me no matter what's going on. I can pet him for a long time if I'm absolutely still but as soon as I move my hand he darts and runs into the wall. He's only about 20" at most. I'm just really confused because when we got the b&w he was a lot more tame. He huffed and puffed but never darted away from my hand and explored happily no matter where he was. This new red won't even explore if I'm anywhere near. I've been doing the bathtub taming where I sit in the bath so he can't run too far but he just jumps and hits his face on the glass. Been leaving a shirt in his tank, I feed him where he can watch. I just don't know what else to do. There hasn't been any improvement whatsoever and it's been a week. My other tegu was climbing up my hand and stopped huffing in 2 days. I know all animals are different but I'm a stressed out mommy.

Jack Curry

Sounds tough. I recommend doing a "taming restart". Don't pick him up out of his tank for the first month or so if taming her. Just place your hand by her and move it closer slower and slower. Gentally touch her unlit she calms down. That's all you should do for now. Keep looking at taming forums for more advice

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Sounds tough. I recommend doing a "taming restart". Don't pick him up out of his tank for the first month or so if taming her. Just place your hand by her and move it closer slower and slower. Gentally touch her unlit she calms down. That's all you should do for now. Keep looking at taming forums for more advice
Also, throw a recently worn shirt in its hide.

John Hernandez

I just got my baby red tegu Chucky yesterday i put him ina 55 gallon tank with 2 hides and mulch substrate i go in he darts from me i fed him today 2 horn worms and some mango and ground turkey and some large crickets dusted in heptivite with beta carotene and calcium with vitd ultrafine powder i want him to be super tamed what can i do to just get him out he just darts fron me do i just get him even if he puts on a fight i heard never do that any advice

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
For startes, leave him alone for anout one week to settle in. Let him see you but don't bother him, then begin more actively familiarizing yourself with him.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Put food in the same bowl before he begins his day. Check out some of the threads on this site to help familiarize yourself with tegu keeping and absolutely ask questions.

John Hernandez

If hes hiding i just put the crickets in there dusted with calcium and multivitamin and his food and talk to him i guess hiding or do i look for him and feed him the crickets??

Lucifers mommie

I have a golden tegu he absolutly hates me he was pre owned...u can feed him with or without him looking it doesnt really matter if he is in his hide or is burrowed leave him or her be do not chase them i would recomend a shirt in his hideing spot and if he is hiding usually he wants to be alone my tegu lucifer wont let me touch him at all he always continues to try to bite me i have let him seytle i have done the shirt trick i have even put my hand in there to settle him he runs from me contstantly i love him i just want him to love me to he is about 15 inches in length so i am assuming he is pretty young any ideas

Justin

5 Year Member
I just caught mine when he was that size mainly because I didn't want to feed him in his enclosure due to impaction risk, now at 40+ inches he doesn't want to stay in his enclosure hardly any as he starts scratching and trying to climb out about the same time everyday, soon as I open the door he'll be trying to climb out or onto me. I think a lot of this just boils down to the individual animal and a lot of it is they are just naturally fearful when young and small. Patience and a steady routine will most likely pay off.

I have read though that golden tegus are a lot harder to tame so I'm sure your not alone there.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I also have a golden that was pre owned, I`ve only had him/her coming up to 4 week .....I just keep talking to him/her and entering the enclosure everyday and think I`m starting to make some progress as the last couple of days I`ve being able to move within a couple of inch, he/she no longer freaks as much when I`m chaging water/food/misting or poopa scooping and if he/she does i keep my hand there talking till he/she stops.... Although he/she has escaped a couple of times I do not let him/her out because of its speed and at only 18 inch long can get and hide anywhere, also I don`t want to be chasing him/her round for hours and taking a step back.....My personal veiw with any animal is patience reaps rewards.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam