• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

My new Blue/Chacoan cross!!!

snibborsirk

so I got my blue/Chacoan cross female today. she is 75% blue and 25% Chacoan B&W! Didn't measure her yet but she seems around 24" like my male Chacoan. She is also 100% b*#ch so far! Wants absolutely nothing to do with me or my male - just hides in the cork bark round and huffs and puffs if anything gets near her! Feel bad for the male as he is very interested and wants to introduce himself but she raises hell so he backs off like a gentleman! He also demonstrated something I've never seen before ... he is actually moving cypress mulch with his front legs into the cork round for her. He is fanning the mulch into her hiding spot and into a big pile and then going back to bask in his usual spot. He's trying to make a good first impression I guess!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hey Snib- Congrats! Very beautiful. See why you picked this one. A good shot of her vent- it is a female.

She's immature and no doubt overwhlemed. A lot to take in, especially so if she hadn't yet had much human interaction. Your nearly eye-level enclosure will make transition way easier for her as you can both see each other, even if you're just sitting around, without the frightening disadvantage of height.

For picks and grins, get a total length measurement of her with date.Will be interesting for you to see how fast she grows this season, and useful for the rest of us.

Oh , get this. I had part fo this message written but as a draft. I didn't hit post reply hard enough on my phone. Homer Simpson, Doooow.

snibborsirk

Thanks - planning on getting a measurement in a couple days once she's settled in a bit more. She was actually out this morning basking before I left for work. She bowed up when i looked in at her but at least she didn't run into her hiding spot! Prob shouldn't have left her unsupervised with the male today but hopefully she gets used to him quickly once he wakes up - he's a late sleeper! Maybe he'll win her over while I'm gone...or she'll continue to be aloof and make him work hard...for god sakes he's already making her nesting spot for her!

N8bub

Just saw this, yep shes a 2015. Answered my own question, sometimes I just need to read a little more before I open my big fat mouth:)

snibborsirk

No prob N8bub - I prob need to be a little more organized on my postings anyway!!

Day 2 update: she stole Jack's (my Chacoan male) sleeping spot but he again remained his cool gentleman self and even piled up some more mulch with his front legs for her to bury in. This is still tripping me out how he is making her a comfy little nest. This evening she finally came out of hiding and after a few passes and tongue flicks she decided to cozy up with the male for their first moment together!! She's still bowing up at me and hissing but not running away. She actually even ate a couple of thawed hoppers tonight. Pretty sure from her thrashing of the frozen hoppers that she was only fed live prey beforehand. Also not sure if she was housed correctly or handled at all. While she is still a stunning looking tegu, she is missing prob a half inch or so of her tail and also missing a toenail with one other twisted a bit. I'm guessing she was housed on that damn reptile carpet stuff as I saw numerous monitors/tegus have nail issues from that stuff while working in pet stores when I was younger. Regardless, I'm looking forward to hopefully gaining this beautiful females trust by giving her a good, proper home and life...and hopefully they'll produce some little ones down the road!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Snib- I love it. Great to see them hanging out together. Not surprised, but always a relief.

snibborsirk

Not much intentionally yet. Just feeding and cleaning up the enclosure. She makes it very clear she doesn't want me near her! Kinda funny, got the male that does everything he can to climb out on me and the female that runs, puffs up, or whips at me most of the time. Occasionally she'll just kinda lean away from me...baby steps of progress I'm hoping! I do wish I could at least round her up without a chase so I could feed her outside of the enclosure. She's a very aggressive feeder so it's hard to keep her from getting food in the mulch.

Justin

5 Year Member
Just catch her and put her in a plastic tub then offer food. My little guy is a bit skittish but he'll eat if he's hungry.

snibborsirk

Snibb- how's she doing now?

Slow progress. She still doesn't like me to get too close to her in the cage but she doesn't run and hide now. She's only let me actually touch her a couple of times - and that was very briefly. debating on whether or not I should snatch her up and handle her some...there will be no nice and easy picking her up!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced